• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

AC ????

reborn73

Reaction score
'73 340 Challenger

Doing a pretty indepth resto. Motor, trans, carb, rear end all getting rebuilt. Car is in fantastic shape, just been parked for 30 years.

What would ya'll recommend for the AC???

Staying with the orig. look for the AC. Have looked at Classic and talked to them about rebuilding everything for the AC. However, what kinda experiences have ya'll had with converting to 134A? The AC was working (not great, but working) before I started taking everything apart. All the parts and pieces seem to be there, just needs fresh'd up.

Any advice?

Toothman

Reaction score
'73 340 Challenger

Doing a pretty indepth resto. Motor, trans, carb, rear end all getting rebuilt. Car is in fantastic shape, just been parked for 30 years.

Staying with the orig. look for the AC. Have looked at Classic and talked to them about rebuilding everything for the AC. However, what kinda experiences have ya'll had with converting to 134A? The AC was working (not great, but working) before I started taking everything apart. All the parts and pieces seem to be there, just needs fresh'd up.

Any advice?
Hi, just joined 1 27 16, I am told Vintage Air is the system used by several Chicagoland Mopar Connection members. Looks good online but Vintage will not confirm it will not interfere with dash speakers or certain radios which they warn of in literature. I am seeking assurance the SureFit GenIV system will work in my 1970 Challenger R/T Ralley gauge 3-speaker dash, and stereo 8-track AM radio. Their diagrams really do not show exact firewall landmarks for installation.

moparleo

Reaction score
134A is the replacement for R12 Freon , which was discontinued because of the alledged damage to the ozone layer of the atmosphere. It is not as efficient and is not compatible with the seals, hoses, oil in R12 systems. 134 systems operate at different pressure and require different hoses that will not allow the refrigerant to leak through. It is best to get a complete system that has no compromises if you want a good functioning a/c system.

Last edited:

AUSTA

Reaction score
'73 340 Challenger

Any advice?
Im running the old V2 compressor to keep original changed the to main hoses & dryer to work with 134A & also changed the compressor oil i think it was PAG 100 been running a 2 years without an issue.

moparleo

Reaction score
Lets be honest, the stock a/c does a pretty poor job when compared to a late model car. Very little air flow. It depends on if you just want the car to look stock or are interested in a good functioning a/c system. Can't beat the late model a/c systems. The a/c in my Magnum R/T is A LOT more efficient than the stock system in my Challenger. I am getting ready to upgrade to a Vintage Air or Classic Air a/c system. It gets hot in So Cal.

Last edited:

AUSTA

Reaction score
Lets be honest, the stock a/c does a pretty poor job when compared to a late model car. Very little air flow. It depends on if you just want the car to look stock or are interested in a good functioning a/c system. Can't beat the late model a/c systems. The a/c in my Magnum R/T is A LOT more efficient than the stock system in my Challenger. I getting ready to upgrade to a Vintage Air or Classic Air a/c system. It gets hot in So Cal.
Leo Your right there while the condenser does its job the blower is very inefficient on high it blows about the same as a modern system on low.
Going to fit the Vintage air under dash in my TA as already have the MSD & Fast fuel injection mounted inside plus the full digital control air con box with challenger kit unit works out at about $2,500 by the time i get it to Aust

dongei

Reaction score
I thought of changing my A/C out for a newer system but after talking with Hagerty ( my insurer) they said that it would be detrimental to the value of my car since everything else is original. Since I have a large investment in my car I just left it alone. A/C works just fine but I do like to drive with the windows down for the cool factor.

moparleo

Reaction score
I find that interesting about Hagerty telling you that it would lower the value of the car. In what way ? If you get into an accident ? How will the a/c have any effect ? These systems do not require any permanent changes to your car. Just like if you were to pull the original drivetrain and save it for the next owner. It can always be put back to original. How did Hagerty find out that you were thinking of up grading your a/c anyway ?

Toothman

Reaction score
Vintage now says that interference of evaporator to radio and/or speakers relates to aftermarket installs; not mentioning OEM. They claim they use actual cars to create the dimensions for the systems. I will have to decide to test the SurFit Gen IV for fitment and use or relocate the 3-speakers before I have them reconed, updated by Instrument Specialties. I do think the radio should fit. Has anyone completed this installation?

dongei

Reaction score
I find that interesting about Hagerty telling you that it would lower the value of the car. In what way ? If you get into an accident ? How will the a/c have any effect ? These systems do not require any permanent changes to your car. Just like if you were to pull the original drivetrain and save it for the next owner. It can always be put back to original. How did Hagerty find out that you were thinking of up grading your a/c anyway ?
It's like taking off the OEM wheels and installing spinners, cost lots of money but detracts from the overall value. Their explanation was that collectors of serious cars want original parts anything else and it turns in to a resto-mod.

moparleo

Reaction score
He didn't say that he was selling his car. My point is, unless you are selling the car right now as a completely stock restoration, as long as you don't do something that alters the car permanently and you save all of the original parts just in case, there is no reason that you can't install a better functioning a/c assembly. The value is not what it is when you are driving it, but what it is when you sell it. If you like to enjoy driving your car and you live in an area where it gets hot in the summer, just rolling down the windows is not always an option. Only non-a/c cars come with air vents.

dongei

Reaction score
He didn't say that he was selling his car. My point is, unless you are selling the car right now as a completely stock restoration, as long as you don't do something that alters the car permanently and you save all of the original parts just in case, there is no reason that you can't install a better functioning a/c assembly. The value is not what it is when you are driving it, but what it is when you sell it. If you like to enjoy driving your car and you live in an area where it gets hot in the summer, just rolling down the windows is not always an option. Only non-a/c cars come with air vents.
I stand corrected.

Back