• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Thoughts on a wicked shake?

fallingseraphim

Reaction score
Ok so around 50-70mph and while decelerating I start getting a nasty body shake. It doesn't seem to be wheel shake no the whole front fenders and hood starting doing the paint can mixer dance! The car had a shake when I first got her but I initially attributed it to a flat spots on old tires. Since then I've installed a new steering box, tossed on different rims/tires (rebalanced) and had an alignment. This did not aid anything and in fact the shake got noticeably worse! Right now my Camaro is hogging my only lift but I plan on picking her up and taking a real good look around next week. Any ideas or tips on what to look out for? :/

moparleo

Reaction score
Body shake is a driveline problem. Steering wheel shimmy is a front suspension issue. Which one do you have ? Are all the tires and rims the same size ? If so rotate the tires front to rear and take another ride. If it changes, the problem is in the tires/wheels. If not is in the suspension or drive line. How long have you had the car ? How old are the tires ?Are the wheels aluminum alloy or steel ? If aluminum, are all the weights on the backside, or done properly with weights on the inside and outside ? Does the vibration change if you put her into neutral at freeway speed ?

Last edited:

fallingseraphim

Reaction score
Rims and tires are fine I've had 2 different sets on and the most recent rotated front to back with no change. The torque converter sounds like a probable culprit. I'll see if I can recreate the shake at the same RPMs while in park or neutral

js29

Reaction score
This may sound stupid! but I did see someone change there rear u-joint and didn't install the C-clips. the drive shaft cocked enough to make it vibrate. just A thought.

68bigblock

Reaction score
i just went through something like that, the whole front clip looked like it was going to shake off. it was a balance issue being speed related not rpm and it turned out to be a bad rear brake drum. i to checked and double checked the wheels and had the drive shaft balanced, i never would have guess a drum would shake the front like that.

Last edited:

Cupracer

Reaction score
Going thru that right now. The shake is so bad it broke the fender brace welds. I know my drive shaft is a little short, (so Ive been told). I wonder if that would be it. I'll try to look at the drums first. Got everything to rebuild the front over the winter. I already did the tire and wheel act.

fallingseraphim

Reaction score
Did a front frame rail repair (it was a thinner than it looked) and low and behold shake is gone!!!

Back