• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Car Show rant

Foomaster

Reaction score
I recently entered the car show fling in my area since the purchase of my Cuda. I do go for fun and relation, not so much for trophies, but tropies are nice to get being a beginner.
I've been to 5 car shows and I've notice the lack in Mopar at the shows. Most I've seen was 5 or 6 Mopar with 120 entries.
I think I figured out why this is. Seems like to me, that the judges, towns people just love Chevy or fords. I understand Mopar are more rare/expensive to own but we had a all Mopar car show here and I would amost bet 30 cars showed up. So they are here but why not at a all class show?
I am finding car shows with a tri 5 class, corvette class, mustang class but no Mopar classes.
Even when they are rewarding, I listen to the winners, 1st place Chevy 2nd place chevy, third place ford and so on. Maybe they should have a 2000s challenger award, since there seems more of them at shows the your old mopars.
After this season I'm kinda bummed on car shows and I think parking the Cuda outside of Wendy's and having a frosty while people drive by and drool over my car is more fun.

djais1801

Reaction score
that's the Truth! I have been lucky w/ my Cuda and nabbed a few trophies this season, but the last show I went to had over 200 cars, and 60 trophies...guess how many mopars got a trophy? 1 a lime green 73 challenger 318 car, which I am not hating on but there was a 70 440 6pak shaker car, a 71 cuda 340 shaker vert, a 70 RR vert...OH and 10 trophies went to 10 57 bel airs. This was put on by the local Rotary, and I talked to a buddy that has a local business, who told me the guy that runs it, picks ALL the cars. and hates Ford/Mopar.

challenger6pak

Reaction score
It has always been that way. It is the reason I quit building show cars and started building drivers.

Last edited:

Foomaster

Reaction score
I guess I will just pick and choose car shows for now and there are 3 next year that won't be blessed with my Cuda's presence.

72*birdman

Reaction score
For a new guy the trophy thing is kind of a tough one to get by, but after a while you get more satisfaction out of having a car there that theres not 27 of in a row. Look at the number of pictures taken of your car in comparison to something they see all the time that will have to be your trophy and number of questions people ask. I have had people come up to me after shows and tell me You should have done better there they don't have a clue how rare your car is. Anymore I have harder time with club run shows where some how all the winners are from the club than anything else. I also Pretty much go to all Mopar shows that way however I finish I've been judged fairly.

mmissile

Reaction score
Most shows are politics first...quality second. Unless it's a large show, most small shows give out "almost winner" trophies, anyways. I go to hang out with car people.

Racer57

Reaction score
1st year I had my Cuda I didn't take it to any shows because I felt that I hadn't done anything to it, So I didn't deserve taking credit for someone elses work. By the time the 2nd year came around, I had fixed a lot of screw ups on it and felt it was now "mine". Took it to 4 shows with 100-175 cars and got "Top 25" awards at each show that were actually pretty cool looking trophies. Now into the 3rd year. No shows. Been there, done that. I drive past real slow and look at the people sitting in their lawn chairs hot, sweaty and bored while I'm cruising. :D

DJ1967Dart

Reaction score
I agree with 72*birdman, until I just purchased my Challenger I would take my 67 Dart to local shows where I live in New York and my Dart is a total driver with many issues but it is fast and loud and uncommon and people always take pictures of it even when it's parked next to a high dollar brand X car. It is never even close to trophy status but I always have people coming up and taking pictures telling me about the Dodge or Plymouth they or a family member owned and they think the bench seat and column shift are cool. One of the best things about owning a Mopar is that it's not as easy as owning a Camaro with a small block Chevy. Anyone can do that, Mopar owners are brand loyal and our cars are the underdog and I always root for the underdog. We can proudly lay claim to the Hemi and the wild colors Chyrsler put out that sets our brand apart. Plus Mopar's are just cooler. Let the guy with the trailer who never drives the car hard win the trophy and enjoy owning something different and rare. I can't wait to take my challenger to the local shows because it will be one of a half dozen e bodies there. Go Mopar.

michael

Reaction score
Down here in Georgia mopars are not very common. ALOT of people just don't relate to them have never seen a Challenger like mine. They will get ALOT of looks.

seneca

Reaction score
I rolled into a car show in the early 80's with my Cuda and the guy assigning classes for judging looked at the car for a moment then asked me what it was!?!?! He marked a class down on the windshield card and I pulled in to find a spot to park. When I got out and looked at the card, he had placed me in the Camaro class! Needless to say I didn't win any awards!!

moparman6874

Reaction score
I judged a big local car show last year and I was being very fair but when it came time to judge the best of show winner there was a few that really stood out.we had a discussion about which one we thought was the best of show, some of the other judges wanted a 57 caddilac that was a driver quality car that was rusty,dirty and worn over a couple other cars that were pristine restorations or nicely built street rods.it won because they thought it was "neat"and the owner of a car I was arguing for was wearing sweat pants so I was told they wouldn't give it to him

wingcarenvy

Reaction score
I never have done car shows. Until recently. One of the first ones I did was moparty at the strip in Vegas. I entered the non judged portion since I don't care about trophies. Funny thing is I own a Ford and a Chevy. I took my 70 Chevelle to the local cars and coffee and they wouldn't let me in because it was primered. I never went back. That crowd is not my people. I have found that the drag strip is my place even with a stocker I have way more fun than a car show. Something about ripping through the gears in a Mopar that's the best therapy.

Back