• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Brake Line Material - SS vs. Mild Steel

doubleyellow

Reaction score
Bought a full set of Brake and Fuel lines from InLine Tube. Went for the Stainless Steel.
However, I'm reading various posts with nightmare stories on the stainless not sealing properly, plus it's high strength and seems difficult to bend if needed to get final routing and positioning.

Please post comments on stainless vs. steel please before I start installing all the lines

Thanks

Adam

Reaction score
I used Inline Tube stainless brake lines, I had no problems or leakage. Make sure to use a flare wrench and that the brass fittings are in good shape.

MOPARMITCH

Reaction score
A lot of people wan't to use stainless for it's no rust properties. They are harder to bend and seal properly, but if you take you time and keep going over the connections,they work fine. On the other hand, you can do as I have, on my GTS project. I sprayed the non-stainless lines I used, with Clear Acrylic Spray before I installed them. They look great, and the finish should last a long time.

71Plym

Reaction score
I used stainless brake lines on my Cuda. If you use the pre-bent pre-flared kits you will be OK. If you have to cut in something like a proportioning valve, flaring stainless tubing can be a major PITA. It can be tough to flare and seems to be brittle at the flare. Need good tools and patience.
I had no problems with leaks. A trick is not to tighten all at once. I found it better to tighten a bit, loosen, tighten a bit more and loosen; keep repeating until on tight. Seems to seat and seal the stainless better.

michael

Reaction score
I used inline stainless brake and fuel lines and had no problems at all with bending them or with leaks.

Back