• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

trying to figure out if my machine shops prices are reasonable

volcanocar

Reaction score
i just dropped off a 440 at the machine shop to be cleaned last week.
all the work that has been performed:
cleaned the block (media blast)
bored the cylinders
line honed the mains
decked the block
replaced freeze plugs

totaled $972

that seems high to me but I may be paranoid, hopefully you guys help guide me.

thanks.

moparleo

Reaction score
It is hard to determine if you got your moneys worth with out knowing the competence of the machine shop. You pay for the quality of the work not just the type of work done. What is the reputation of this machine shop ? Did you inspect their shop ? Was it clean and organized ? Did you see a lot of work waiting to be done ? Did they ask you what type of pistons you are using ? Did they ask for them so that they could bore/hone each cylinder for each piston ? Before you can accurately price the meal, you need to know if you are buying steak or hamburger.

volcanocar

Reaction score
I understand what you're saying but I do not know if I could accurately convey any of that with my limited experience.
as far as the work done, the bore job was just the minimum required to save the cylinder from the rust in it.
(I believe it was just a universally .040 over but I will have to check)

volcanocar

Reaction score
I did not purchase pistons yet because I was uncertain about how far the cylinders may have to go.

moparleo

Reaction score
Your invoice should itemize all of the items performed. .040 is a lot more than just a cleanup. Since you can't really answer about the shops details, we hope you got what you paid for. Keep us posted. And it is better to ask questions before you spend your money and hope you did ok. We are here to help.

volcanocar

Reaction score
yeah I'm learning a lot of this stuff the hard way lol

Mopars & Missiles

Reaction score
A good machine shop will ALWAYS Sonic check cylinder wall thickness prior to boring/honing to ensure a good usable block before any machine work is performed. Even a standard bore factory block can have considerable core shift that would deem it unusable for an overbore and performance build.

moper

Reaction score
Actually it's rare that a shop will sonic test unless the expected power output is much higher than stock, or the stroke is increased (leading to the former...lol). The quality of the machinist, the modernity of the equipment, and the market the shop's in will dictate the cost. Using your list, I'd expect to have been charged about $1200. But my block would be square decked on a modern CNC block mill, properly honed using torque plates, and the labor is $95/hr for non-machining work.

Mopars & Missiles

Reaction score
Well I guess therein lies the difference in whether a shop sonic tests or not. My shop is more of a "Hi Performance" shop, not an average build, any make, shop. They always "recommend" the sonic test, but won't force it on a customer if he doesn't want it. But for 100 bucks, it is good insurance prior to paying out the full machining and prep charges for a fully machined, race prepped, & ready to assemble block (about $1800 at my shop), especially if you are boring oversize .030 or more. And yes, my engines are higher output than stock, stroked behemoths with lots of top shelf parts versus a factory rebuild. So of course I was wrong to assume others build their engines the way I do.

moper

Reaction score
Sorry M&M. I own a $1200 Dakota Ultrasonics and get paid to test blocks. My appologies if you thought I'm suggesting you're doing anything wrong in terms of your standards. I sonic test all my builds, but most hobbyists wouldn't own a decent sonic tester themselves (those $3-400 ones are junk), or their own mopar big and small block torque plates for that matter....lol.

Mopars & Missiles

Reaction score
No problem, no apologies needed. I just realized that you are right, when most people build a stock engine on a budget they don't spend money to sonic check the block. I agree, it isn't really feasible for the average guy to own a good sonic tester, that's why a good shop should have one for their customers. I looked into buying one myself, but couldn't justify the $1000+ since I only build one engine every couple years or so. It was probably the same one you have, as that Dakota name sounds familiar. So I rely on my machinist to check my blocks before we proceed with the machining. But like you pointed out, I'm building $12-15K HP stroker engines whereas the average guy is rebuilding $3-5K factory stock engines. Its all good and all MOPAR. :cool:

Adam

Reaction score
My builder always needs me to have my pistons so he can finish hone the correct clearance; for example cast, forged, and hypereutectic all take slightly different clearances..

AUSTA

Reaction score
i just dropped off a 440 at the machine shop to be cleaned last week.
all the work that has been performed:
cleaned the block (media blast)
bored the cylinders
line honed the mains
decked the block
replaced freeze plugs

totaled $972

that seems high to me but I may be paranoid, hopefully you guys help guide me.

thanks.
This is what we pay in Australia for performance 340 3.79 stroker includes drilling all the oil galleries & fitting the 4 bolt mains
JE custom pistons were around $1400 Aud
They do Zaps Rat plus most of the other door slammers in WA

340 Engine.jpg

DODGE 340.jpg

Back