• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

First trip to the dragstrip with the challenger.

73DAD

Reaction score
Took the trusty rusty '73 rallye to Muncie Dragway for test n tune night. My Dad works at the same place I do and drove his '73 camaro to work that day, so we just drove straight to the strip from there.

It was a blast, lots of daily driver type cars showed up and there was a good mix. Met some mopar guys from the area and made 5 passes.

My car was totally gutless on the bottom end! Best I could muster was a 15.6 at 91 going through the lights in 2nd gear at 5600rpm. Those 2.94 gears with a one legger weren't helping anything but I had fun.

Think I'm ready to hunt down a holley 3310 to replace the Edelbrock and do some fine tuning...

ramenth

Reaction score
Meeting those Mopar guys in your area is a good way to network and get some free advice, maybe a helping hand, and some parts you might need.

Even with the times, it's about having fun (maybe... I can be too competitive for my own good, sometimes.)

73DAD

Reaction score
Thanks guys

I should clarify, first trip to the dragstrip with the challenger. I've had my old road runner there a couple times before.

Right on. Lot of fun at the strip. Not a bad time for them gears. What you running for a motor?
It's an iron headed 360 a previous owner dropped in with a TCI trans. Headers, iron intake, 650 AVS, power steer, and power disc.

I have no idea on the internal specs. I just know the power brakes work well and it doesn't ping on 87 octane lol.

Here's an apples to oranges comparison. Ran my '70 Road Runner last year at the same track using the same 2.94 diff, same wheels+tires. It had manual discs, manual steer, no interior, a 7.5:1 smog 440, mild summit cam, alum intake, headers, and 750 holley.

14.5 at 96 compared to the fully loaded challenger small block 15.6 at 91

Next trip I'm thinking of yanking the front bumper assembly completely, putting some smaller diameter tires on the rear, and emptying the air shocks in the rear.

What times have you guys run with near stock e-bodies?

73DAD

Reaction score
We went back again.

Last night was the last event of the year for Muncie. I brought the challenger again, one cousin brought a '74 318 road runner, my brother came up from columbus in a '67 belvedere II (318), and another cousin brought her '79 chevy c30 pickup to run for her first time.

While we never got to line up next to each other, the road runner and challenger were neck and neck for timeslips! In the end he got me with a best of 15.502 @ 86 to my 15.578 @ at 91.

I thought i had him on my last run. When I stood on the brakes and really got up on the converter the 60' and 330' were my best by a tenth and a half! ...But at half track carb problems knocked it down to the worst run of the night.

Dang it, guess we'll have to wait 'til next year to race again, what a blast

'73 chall 360-4bbl auto 2.94's, 15.578 @91
'74 rr 318-4bbl auto 3.21's, 15.502 @86
'67 belv 318-4bbl auto 2.94's, 16.29 @ 83
'79 c30 350-4bbl auto ?????, 17.5 @ 77

sportster2000

Reaction score
I believe I know you. If I am not mistaken your brother is putting the 440 out of your car into his Belvedere. I took you and your brother to mopar mountain junkyard in southern Indiana last year. You have to get your brother motivated on both his cars.

73DAD

Reaction score
Yep that was me! I sold the '73 rallye early this year to fund/focus on the Road Runner. Regretted selling ever since it drove off. Temptation got the better of me last week, and I bought a very rough '71 Challenger r/t. My brother has gotten a lot done on the belvedere, but he's such a perfectionist that it gets in the way of making decisions on things and moving forward.

How's your challenger coming? Fast enough to win the dollar bet?

sportster2000

Reaction score
Not yet, still trying to figure out the wiring issues. Once that is done there is a very good chance that it fire up as there isn't too much more under the hood to do, all is interior then. I also believe that your brother now has another 1968 dated 440 short block in his garage that might be going in the Belveder and if he keeps true to his word he will beat me at the race.

Back