• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

AMD Challenger Fender

340challconvert

Reaction score
Sorry for the sheet metal diversion. jimbry, how was the quality for the AMD sheet metal for the two piece trunk repair? I need to do the same thing and do not want to have to remove my quarters or back tail panel to install. I noticed that you seamed the middle as you would with two pieces, but it looks like you cut the panel around the shock mount humps. I was thinking of doing the same. How difficult was it to install the floor in this manner?
Information appreciated. And nice job on your work!
Dino2 (1).gif

Last edited:

quapman

Reaction score
It's all good. You can just imagine how frustrated I am after spending a couple paychecks on this hunk of Asian steel. No offense to Asians.

340challconvert

Reaction score
Original topic; quality of AMD fenders, and their appropriate fitment with welds and holes in the incorrect positions for proper placement on to the vehicle.
Dino2 (1).gif

moparman6874

Reaction score
I do a lot of metal replacement...im in Wisconsin,lol and ive used parts from all the manufactures,amd parts used to be the best but ive had problems with there stuff being the same as everyone elses its all about the installer being able to work with it,doing my own personal car right now and the only amd part I'm using is a shaker hood

quapman

Reaction score
Well, my patience paid off and Jeff from 521 was able to get AMD to kick back $150. I'm still going to have to adjust the part, but it's better than paying return freight and slightly better than a sharp stick in the eye.

jimbyr

Reaction score
I noticed that you seamed the middle as you would with two pieces, but it looks like you cut the panel around the shock mount humps. I was thinking of doing the same. How difficult was it to install the floor in this manner?
Information appreciated. And nice job on your work!

Paharamia

The quality was pretty good on the 2 piece trunk pieces and extensions and yes I cut them at the shock humps. The rest of the metal behind that was just fine. Don't forget that you can bend and twist those pieces and it doesn't bother anything like it would on a fender. It was a pretty easy install once the old rusted metal was cut out. That took a lot longer than welding in the new stuff. Have a lot of clamps on hand. I put in both halves of the trunk floor and screwed them together with sheet metal screws. Clamped the extensions on and then clamped them down to the frame rails and lower quarters. Had to adjust the extensions a bit but they went on just fine. Tacked everything and then went back and welded all the seams up including all the screw holes. Don't forget to put in the new gas tank supports in first.

Jim

340challconvert

Reaction score
jimbyr, Appreciate the response.
The trunk is most damaged part of my car.
I liked the way your trunk turned out, based on the two piece floor pan it came out pretty well.
I will be grinding the floor down to metal, and cleaning up the seam areas. Adjacent extensions appear to be solid.
I making a driver out of the car (makes the most sense if I want to actually get to drive it)
I should be able to do the center section similar to what you did.
I was concerned about the fitment of the 1/2 trunk floor panels from AMD.
The general consensus is that there are some quality and fitment issues with the different AMD panels, especially the fenders.
Your feed back was helpful.
Thanks
Dino2 (1).gif

trunk fl left 2.JPG

trunk fl rt w gas pipe.JPG

jimbyr

Reaction score
Paharamia

If you're just doing the center section you should be able to use the 1 piece floor I would think. If you're cutting the left and right wings off and piecing it in like I did at the shocks the 1 piece should go right in. Do you need the trunk floor extensions also?

Jim

340challconvert

Reaction score
Paharamia

If you're just doing the center section you should be able to use the 1 piece floor I would think. If you're cutting the left and right wings off and piecing it in like I did at the shocks the 1 piece should go right in. Do you need the trunk floor extensions also?

Jim
Not yet sure on the trunk extensions. They look solid besides the surface rust. I did not want to deal with removing any panels that are solid in order to put the full pan in. Your right! I think the full pan would fit if I cut it back the way you did. This looks good to me for what I need. That's why I was curious about your experience with the 1/2 panels. Thanks for the feedback!
Dino2 (1).gif

Last edited:

4sixty2fairlane

Reaction score
I had the same problems with challenger fenders from them a couple of years ago. One side was excellent, the other was terrible. Lucky I ordered them at a distributor and picked them up myself. I refused to take the junk one. Both were ordered at the same time with other sheetmetal and in amd boxes. Seems like another example of a company starting out with quality stuff and then letting it slide over time.

quapman

Reaction score
I got it to go on the car a couple days ago, but it's still a POS. The lip that sits on the inner fender isn't parallel and will need shims in at least three places. I can improve it by sharpening the angles where the part has a "Z" bend, but it will be time consuming. I'm fighting with the part that bolts to the front apron, too.

Last edited:

quapman

Reaction score
Latest update: I sold the POS at a loss to a friend doing a clone. Yes, he knows about all the issues I've had. In the end it will be easier than fighting with big corporate and shipping the thing back to Georgia. Found a nice original in Buffalo and am having it shipped here.

challboy728

Reaction score
I am restoring a '70 Challenger T/A. Did the research and found AMD was supposed to supply the best body parts. Ordered drivers side floor pan, trunk floor, quarters, Dutchman panel, and left front fender. All fit well except the front fender. 1/2" gap at the top between fender and door, the fender overlapped the door at the bottom. Talked with AMD, they said "Oh yeah, we have been having some problems with those fenders. We expect a new shipment, we will send you one when they come in." Finally, after about a year, they sent a fender. It was a 'Cuda fender. Sent it back and got the new Challenger fender. Same problem as the previous fender. The shop I have the Challenger at is going to try a Goodmark, but it sounds like their fenders are worse. Not sure where to go from here.

340challconvert

Reaction score
A number of people have noted the same problems with the AMD fenders, and they are considered the best to deal with.
The other problem with their fenders, location of the front headlight bucket panel; on some fenders it needs to removed, relocated and rewelded so that it will bolt up to the radiator frame properly.
I would look for a clean original that might need a little work, usually at the bottom (patch panel for some rust)
Either way, you will need to spend some time/labor fixing the old one or the modifying the "new one"
I have bought other AMD panels and they work out well. There is definately a problem with the fenders.
Just my opinion on what a number of members have been complaining about!
Dino2 (1).gif

Back