• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

8 3/4 axle play

Muddytruckin

Reaction score
i had to changeout the drivers side inner seal due to leaking. Greased the bearings, Put the new one in no problems. Placed the steel gasket/shim on, slid axle back in and bolted it up. I now have zero play. I understand it's not adjustable but figured I have just a little play. I did not put the foam gasket back on, wasn't exactly sure where it went and didn't think it could be more than a dust prevention measure, and I'm not worried about a little dust, I hardly drive it. Any ideas on the axle play?

Mopars & Missiles

Reaction score
It most certainly is adjustable on an 8 3/4" axle housing. By memory it should be around .008 to .012" or so (memory isn't the best anymore). The procedure is plainly shown in the FSM for your car.

Muddytruckin

Reaction score
I know the end play is adjustable on the passenger side, but does that also affect the drivers side end play? I do not have a FSM. I should try to get one though.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Yes the passenger side adjusts the total end play & yes it should be .008-.012 range make sure the brgs are seated by tapping with a hammer

cuda'parr

Reaction score
The foam gasket goes between the backing plate and the axle housing. End play is adjusted on the right ( passenger) side.
Moparts on the Web - Main Index
Are you sure about the foam gasket location? I thought the same till I read in the shop manual it goes between the backing plate and bearing retainer.

axle-1.jpg

Back