• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

remote hood latch cable

Challenger1973

Reaction score
Hoping someone can help. I have a 1973 Challenger. It came with an interior hood latch cable but was not hooked up. I connected it to the latch, but it will not open latch. Cable flexes but will not open latch. Does anyone have a picture of the correct routing and mounting of cable? Thanks, Challenger1973.

jeffv21

Reaction score
My guess is you don't have the end of cable clamped in place

dadeo1852

Reaction score
Well I have a interior hood release on my 70 that I can post pics of but I need to know what pics are you looking for, right at the latch along the rad support or interior routing?

Challenger1973

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. I need pics of everything. Came with car but not on it. Thanks Callenger1993.

dadeo1852

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. I need pics of everything. Came with car but not on it. Thanks Callenger1993.
Here you go. Hope this helps. Routing is how I found it when I bought the car before restoration so not sure if it's 100% correct but it does work like a charm, very little effort and it pops open.

DSCN2022.JPG

DSCN2023.JPG

DSCN2026.JPG

DSCN2027.JPG

DSCN2028.JPG

DSCN2029.JPG

DSCN2030.JPG

DSCN2031.JPG

DSCN2032.JPG

Challenger1973

Reaction score
Here you go. Hope this helps. Routing is how I found it when I bought the car before restoration so not sure if it's 100% correct but it does work like a charm, very little effort and it pops open.
Thanks so much for the pics. Very helpful.

jimynick

Reaction score
I'd like to thank you too, as mine also has the remote and it, too, was in a box

tman

Reaction score
Just saw this posting and I have everything to install the remote cable to my 70 Cuda. Great photos, but have a question. Is your remote cable sharing the same grommet as the speedo cable? From under the brake booster, looks like 2 cables going into pass compartment. But from the inside, looks like the remote cable is the only cable using that grommet?

quapman

Reaction score
Hood cable should have its own grommet & hole in the firewall (about 5/8") and does NOT share the speedo grommet.

The tricky and often missing part is the bracket that attaches to the latch tray support where the cable is anchored.

tman

Reaction score
Hood cable should have its own grommet & hole in the firewall (about 5/8") and does NOT share the speedo grommet.

The tricky and often missing part is the bracket that attaches to the latch tray support where the cable is anchored.

Yes, the latch kit I got has its own grommet and I know this option was not available till 73ish. I have the bracket that attaches to the support also with latch. Whole kit and caboodle. Just trying to figure out if the 70 ebody firewall has the hole for the latch? It looks pretty close to where my road lamp wire goes thru the firewall. I really don't want to drill a hole if I can help it. Was wondering if "dadeo1852" was sharing the speedo grommet or if it was on its own.... Thanks for your input.

quapman

Reaction score
Looks like the hole does not exist in a 70 Challenger. I know on my 73, it's a little down & over to the outside from the speedo cable hole.

70challfirewall.jpg

tman

Reaction score
Do you have a pic of where yours is located from the inside of firewall to where it exits out the firewall? That would be excellent.

quapman

Reaction score
I was going to snap one today and forgot. PM me a reminder.

dadeo1852

Reaction score
Sorry, just got back from a vaca. Yes, on my car the they route through the same hole. Since this was the way I found it I left it the same way.

quapman

Reaction score
Gonna try to get a pic today or tomorrow.

quapman

Reaction score
Not the best pic, but here's mine. The small hole next to the cable is something a previous owner did.

DSC_3041.JPG

Ed72cuda

Reaction score
Dadeo1852, many thanks for those pics of the hood release cable!! My car came with the cable running on top near the base of the pop up spring! It's hard to pull to pop the hood! I knew something was wrong!
Is there a bracket that holds the cable end to the latch support? Anyone have one to sell me? I live in SoCal.

IMG_0121.JPG

dadeo1852

Reaction score
I'm going to take a couple pics of pics that I have that will show you my latch and bracket before restoration so stay tuned while I try to make these decent enough for you to see.

Ed72cuda

Reaction score
Thanks dadeo1852! I read the thread again and there is mention of a bracket. Mine's missing. And my latch should have a round tab for the cable "noose" to slip over. My latch has a lever with a small hole in it. The latch will work but it's not as cool as the round tab. But what I really need is the bracket -- anyone know a source? Your photo will help me identify what exact bracket I need.

Back