• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

71 RT resurrection

gdrill

Reaction score
The test fit. What a good feeling this is! This is the way a buddy told me to do it and it would fit. It goes in and out easily.

IMG_3420.JPG
IMG_3421.JPG
IMG_3422.JPG
IMG_3425.JPG
IMG_3426.JPG

gdrill

Reaction score
Thanx guys. Ya it fits quite well. I don't know exactly what manufacturer made the pan as the tag is unreadable. I can tell there are some differences from the 71 though. I will have to add a few holes here and there. Above the shocks is missing and beside that as well. Due to my floor being gone already I will have to do some internetting and find out exactly what changes need made.

jeff968

Reaction score
Looking good. Is it worth welding in the jack hold down prior to the installation of the pan?

gdrill

Reaction score
Thank you Jeff. And yes I think that is a great idea! Definitely easier than later.
Before I mark and drill the holes I want to get the piece that goes across the back of the rails. It has positions for the bumper bolts and will ensure the rails are in the right spot. They actually have a fair amount of movement when they aren't connected to anything!

gdrill

Reaction score
Well it has been a while since I've been here. I have been busy with a new job. The patch has been slow so I had to change occupations slightly. I'm back being a Tool Push on a rig. Just fired up a rig from the boneyard and got drilling again. 32 days straight and finally some days off! But that's not why I'm posting here now. I just wrapped up a deal on a 73 Challenger for parts. It is basically complete. It will supply so many little tidbits for me. I'm super happy as it also will be easier to put stuff together that I actually took apart vs buying each piece and trying to figure it out. :)

IMG_3604.JPG

IMG_3605.JPG

gdrill

Reaction score
It's too bad all build sheets aren't preserved. Some of the best ones I've found came out of the roughest cars! Like this for the parts car, very nice shape and for a car that will likely never be saved. :(

IMG_3608.JPG

moparlee

Reaction score
That build sheet is perfect. The seat is in great shape too. Are the bones of the car not good enough to save it?

gdrill

Reaction score
Yes, they are in great shape. The car actually is starting to look better than it appeared when I got it. The floor isn't even too bad and the trunk is OK too. The guy I got it from wants the 73 specific stuff, grill, fender gills, tail lights etc and the hood. The rest is mine. My car came as a shell and had not a single bolt left on it. So when I'm done putting mine together this one will be basically the same condition. I will offer it up for sale but I'm not sure anyone will go to the same effort for a later model. I kind of feel bad about this, but I need all the tidbits to save mine. We'll see, maybe I'll find another that is rougher and this one can go to somebody else.

gdrill

Reaction score
Made a road trip today. I am working on getting a '70 RT that is mostly a shell and has had some fab work done in the past. It needs a lot and doesn't have a ll I need, but I think it could be a good one to keep around for a future resurrection. We couldn't come to an agreement today, but I did pick up some parts. I got a complete grill with bezels, some new marker lights, a trunk lid and 2 fenders that are waaaaay better than mine! Always enjoy a road trip and meeting fellow Mopar people.

IMG_3619.JPG

IMG_3620.JPG

IMG_3621.JPG

gdrill

Reaction score
I forgot to add the pics of the results of a hail storm. We missed it but saw the aftermath. Must have dumped 6" of dime sized hail quickly. Only saw one semi with a b-train who's front bumper was looking at the rear of the trailer. Everyone else appeared to get through safely.

IMG_3614.JPG

IMG_3615.JPG

Last edited:

moparlee

Reaction score
That must have been a hale of a hail storm. I am from ND and have seen many of them but not that deep. Looks like a scene in Jan or Feb. BTW, who is your parts supplier up there? Looks like he has a good stash of parts. Complete 71 Challenger grills are not that easy to come by in that shape.

gdrill

Reaction score
LOL, ya it was a hail of a storm! This is a guy that contacted me about 6 months ago. I put an ad on kijiji looking for a Challenger parts car. He replied that when he was done building his he would have one for me. Turns out it is too good to be a parts car, by my standard anyway. Needs lots but it's a '70 Sublime 383 RT. You're right he has a pretty good stash, which I didn't see very much of. But I did see 2 complete '70 grills as well sitting on top of the car.

gdrill

Reaction score
Another few pieces of the puzzle have been acquired. I ordered these up a while back and have been anxiously awaiting their arrival. I got a rear cross member and the entire floor section front to back. I won't be getting them in immediately but when I do this will totally change this car. It will go from a basket case to a very solid base. In my opinion anyway! :)

IMG_3720.JPG

IMG_3722.JPG

IMG_3723.JPG

gdrill

Reaction score
Ok, I couldn't resist. :) And I really couldn't find a better place to store the parts! They fit pretty darn OK. There is a little adjusting required, but overall, I think they are fabulous.

IMG_3727.JPG

IMG_3728.JPG

IMG_3730.JPG

DetMatt1

Reaction score
They do fit nice, especially their floor pans. I remember being very pleased when I plopped the full pans in my '68 RR. I was given very little reason to say they weren't perfect.

Back