• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Did chry ever make a functioning fresh air twin scoop hoods

Cudafever

Reaction score
I have a flat hood on it now and don't want to hack a hole in it to put a hood scoop. Have a factory twin scoop hood that i would like to make into a fresh air scoop.

Someone before me had already torched a hole in it. spent this morning with a die grinder, cleaning up all the torch slag and making it a bit more uniform.

Looking at it much closer now, it looks like a big project to seal the twin scoop to the carb, and isolating it from the underhood air.

moparleo

Reaction score
Yep. The only factory fresh air hoods for E-bodies were the fiberglass AAR, T/A, and shakers. The T/a hood was the best functioning. This is due to the hood air intake scoop being elevated above the flat hood allowing the hood to funnel high velocity airflow above the boundary layer of dead air on the hood surface. They also look great. If you have A Barracuda/Cuda you would have to use the shaker hood to get a functioning factory style hood. Aside from that is the sixpak hood scoop used on the 69 1/2 RoadRunner/SuperBee. As you say, the challenge is to seal the hood to the carb. If you have fabrication skills you could get the baseplate from a sixpak setup and build a housing that would seal to the hood with flexible foam rubber.
If you look on the internet and/or you tube you can find plenty of ideas.

Cudafever

Reaction score
IMG_000107.jpg
IMG_000108.jpg

Well i'm not a fabricator but. Here i go! Went to Wal Mart today and got some foam, got there largest cookie sheet,(for the base plate) and some weather adhesive to glue the foam together. took some cardboard and made a template to cover the large hole in the hood, cut a round hole off set to the right of center. Now I will need to seal up the other two braces. Test fit it and see if i got the air clean hole right.
Then i will take it to a fab shop and have them make my cardboard into aluminum sheets. Then screw them into place.
If i didn't run an air filter, it would be a lot easier to build this thing, but a air filter is a must for me!
My current filter is a 14"open element air filter. I think i will have to go down to a 12" one to give me the air space around the air filter and the foam seal around the hole.

Last edited:

Cudafever

Reaction score
Yep. The only factory fresh air hoods for E-bodies were the fiberglass AAR, T/A, and shakers. The T/a hood was the best functioning. This is due to the hood air intake scoop being elevated above the flat hood allowing the hood to funnel high velocity airflow above the boundary layer of dead air on the hood surface. They also look great. If you have A Barracuda/Cuda you would have to use the shaker hood to get a functioning factory style hood. Aside from that is the sixpak hood scoop used on the 69 1/2 RoadRunner/SuperBee. As you say, the challenge is to seal the hood to the carb. If you have fabrication skills you could get the baseplate from a sixpak setup and build a housing that would seal to the hood with flexible foam rubber.
If you look on the internet and/or you tube you can find plenty of ideas.

Yes these hood scoop will have the dreaded "boundary layer" problem to deal with but i'm not looking to get a ram air effect out of this hood. only consistent, cool air to the carb.

Cudafever

Reaction score
Well after priming the hood inside and out i found out the this hood really sucks and flat black primer won't even hide it.
No body man, and spent 3 days on this hood
IMG_000110.jpg

Yes you can see that i rattle canned it, and it still doesn't look that good. but i will have to pay someone to get it better(won't happen, would have to tap into my new converter fund LOL)
Today is the day for a fresh air system.
IMG_000111.jpg

Cudafever

Reaction score
Well here is my first twin scoop fresh air system. Went away from the more complicated triangle shape and made it square..sort of.
had a hole cut into it 18" in diameter. had a BIG washer made out of alu with a center hole a 11" and out side diameter at 20" screwed it to the air filter base plate. glued some one inch by 3" tall foam around the outer end of new base plate.
My air filter is 14 inches so that give me 2 inches of air space all the way round my air filter.
0627161905.jpg
0627161937 (1).jpg
0627162013.jpg
0627162013a.jpg

Cudafever

Reaction score
Yeah that is one thing that i have not addressed. A drain hole. Rain and High humidity is not going to be good on that paper filter.
Although it is a street car with full interior, it never goes anywheres that it's not on a trailer. Haven't licensed it in over 10 years. It lives in my garage when it's not at the track. but still i think it needs some kind of a drain hole. Just haven't figured out where to put it.
The front of the hood is sealed with expanding foam, but the backside, up next to windshield(fresh air for the heater/AC box is not. So when i raise my hood, any moisture should drain out.
That leave the air filter box. may have to find the lowest spot and drill a small hole.

Racer57

Reaction score
My shaker has two holes. One on each side in front with a short hose pointing down. Each is about where the intake meets the valve covers.

Cudafever

Reaction score
Hadn't thought about a hose to direct the water away from eng....thanks!:cool:

Cudafever

Reaction score
So, it just don't look right...... Maybe i have been looking at a white flat hood for to many years......o_O;)

Cudafever

Reaction score
0702162027-1.jpg
Here is another picture. I think i will paint the inset of my rims black. what do you think.
Not to good with paint program and a mouse for a paint brush......But you get the idea.

challenger6pak

Reaction score
You could paint the fender tops and the header panel black like an AAR.
images.jpg

Cudafever

Reaction score
You could paint the fender tops and the header panel black like an AAR.View attachment 28039

I have been pondering that as well.
I when threw all the pic of cudas in the Photo Garages and it seems like most were just painted body color. So thoughts of that, have been crossing my mind too.(white hide a lot of body work)

Maybe just a factory black Hockey Stick on the back that says 408;)

Cudafever

Reaction score
Just got back from the alignment shop, to more days before we find out how well this fresh air scoop work out.
May drop my exh as well.
Best time so far is a low 8s (8.15) 1/8th mile times. Would love to break into to 7s :cool:
That's at 6800 feet elevation.

O yeah i was doing this to make my car more consistence.;):D

Cudafever

Reaction score
Well here is the skinny!!!
Last race my best to worse et was [email protected] mph to a [email protected] sixtys were 1.887/1.908
This month with the adj altitude 1000 feet higher 9721-9634 foot all day.
[email protected] MPH to a worse of [email protected] sixtys about the same in the 1.885-1.912
The air at a 1000 foot higher, and only down by .08/ on my best run........I think my fresh air experiment was a success!!
Looking to find some more HP and itching to break into the the 7s. i drop my exh (just doing this never helped my et) and installing my header extensions that i had made up awhile ago but hadn't used yet. My first run i ran a [email protected] MPH by the end of the day i pulled of a 8.099 ET (1/8th mile)
some of my inconsistence has to do with my starting line routine(how hard i stall it at the line)
Determined to try for that 7.99 with a 9 LOL. I stalled it up as much as it would hole on the line, and launched the car. Just past the tree something when thump and my throttle stuck, momentarily.:wtf::eek: I pulled to the side of the track, thinking that i had broke my transmission. No oil on the track. Yup i knew what i had done. left the hood open, started the car, put it in gear and started to stall it up. the motor lifted off of it motor mount. ****! Drove it back to the trailer and loaded it up.
Time for some better motor mounts!!!!!
Once again, a great day of racing!:D

Last edited:

Cudafever

Reaction score
0714162013.jpg
Mounts will be here friday. pulled the motor because i have a troublesome coolant leak. Even the expandable rubber plug wouldn't stop the seep.
Anybody been down this road and have a good idea how to get it to seal?

Back