• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

71 Challenger Tail panel and light hardware

71Challenger/6

Reaction score
What size speed nuts are used to hold the tail light PANEL in place?
Any insulating washers?
What size/thread and type of nut (flanged, captive washer, etc.) are used to hold the tail light HOUSING in place?

The back of the car makes a terrible rattling noise with every bump in the road and I have nailed it down to a complete lack of hardware on the tail light assembly. There are only 2 too-small speed nuts holding on the entire tail panel, and no nuts on the the tail light housing. I have foune a few kits for the '71 challenger, but none include the speed-nuts, just studs and nuts for the lights.

challenger6pak

Reaction score
Sounds like the original studs are broken off on your housing. The studs were cast into the housing.

Adam

Reaction score
There are 10 studs that hold the tail panel to the body. They are .263 in diameter, which is slightly larger than 1/4 inch. I believe 1/4 in PAL nuts are correct. You want the Pal nuts that come with sealant. There is no washer. But, Lowes sells PAL nuts and if you need to you can use window ribbon sealant as a substitute.

moparlee

Reaction score
The two tail light housings are held in place with #8-32 studs with #8 PAL nuts with sealant, no washer. 8 in each housing for a total of 16. Be sure to use PAL nuts for machine threads and not the thread cutting type.

For the tail light panel you do need the thread cutting type. Here is a pic of my 71 tail light panel. There is foam washer which goes on the stud first, then after the panel is on the body a special cone washer and then the thread cutting PAL nut. There are 12 of the cast in place panel studs.

DSCF0901.JPG

Last edited:

71Challenger/6

Reaction score
The two tail light housings are held in place with #8-32 studs with #8 PAL nuts with sealant, no washer. 8 in each housing for a total of 16. Be sure to use PAL nuts for machine threads and not the thread cutting type.

For the tail light panel you do need the thread cutting type. Here is a pic of my 71 tail light panel. There is foam washer which goes on the stud first, then after the panel is on the body a special cone washer and then the thread cutting PAL nut. There are 12 of the cast in place panel studs.

View attachment 28268

OK, after getting the wrong nuts first (they are really 10-24, not 8-32), I went with KEPS nuts (captive star washer) for the housing studs. Next, I bought the 1/4" thread cutting PAL nuts from Lowes, but they seemed to have a rough time going on. They didn't want to cut a steep pitch, but rather very fine and even stall and just spin and cut without tightening unless I used a LOT of pressure downward. I only did 2 to hold it on for fear of destroying the studs and ultimately the panels. There were 2 remaining original PAL nuts with the dome washers still in place. Where can I get more of those? I'm not going to do any more with the hardware strore junk.

moparlee

Reaction score
OK, after getting the wrong nuts first (they are really 10-24, not 8-32), I went with KEPS nuts (captive star washer) for the housing studs. Next, I bought the 1/4" thread cutting PAL nuts from Lowes, but they seemed to have a rough time going on. They didn't want to cut a steep pitch, but rather very fine and even stall and just spin and cut without tightening unless I used a LOT of pressure downward. I only did 2 to hold it on for fear of destroying the studs and ultimately the panels. There were 2 remaining original PAL nuts with the dome washers still in place. Where can I get more of those? I'm not going to do any more with the hardware strore junk.

Ya, your'r right on the 10-24, the 8-32 are for the lenses. Sorry about that. For the PAL nuts try rtspecialties or restorationspecialties.

Back