• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

six pack help needed

topbanna70

Reaction score
I have a six pack set up that was just rebuilt and installed we have everything hooked up even though it may not all be totally correct yet when the engine first fires up its as though you are already giving it fuel and the rpms are really high is that the idle screw needing adjustment or something else? i am new to six packs and i dont have many people around who knows much about them to know really where to start with correcting this issue.

Relax426

Reaction score
Unhook the outer carb linkage. Sounds like your outer carbs are open a little bit.

If that solves the problem adjust the linkage.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
And welcome to the site from the Motor City!
What are you running this set up on?

topbanna70

Reaction score
I am running it on a 1970 dodge challenger small block 340 4 speed car

topbanna70

Reaction score
I'm trying to upload some pictures

20160724_103143.jpg

all original

Reaction score
Six pack set ups are not that hard but can be a bit frustrating, Ive been tuning mine for a while now and a lot of things come into play. First what I did was disconnect your out board carb linkage, make sure your choke is open and the fast idle cam is off. Turn your idle screw all the way out, then start to turn it in until it just starts to move the throttle plates and go half turn more. Then make sure your outer carb throttle plates are closed completely and adjust your linkages. Make sure your carb base gaskets are on correctly and check for vacuum leaks.
Hope this helps

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Is it an original 340 car? Some crazy looking plumbing you have going on there, temporary?

Daves69

Reaction score
I think I'd get my PCV functioning for one. Make sure the outboard rod adjustments aren't affecting the center idle position and the butterflies aren't hanging in the bores.

dadeo1852

Reaction score
Holy crap batman! I got a six pack set up on my car so I've played with them and really have them dialed in now. So, for you, looking at the pics I see no throttle cable or spring return on, I see no vacuum hoses to you secondary diaphrams, I see a 50cc accelerator pump on your center carb (not stock, not even for a 440) and the center carb has a trip arm that supposed to open a vent on top of the fuel bowl but you have none. Soooo, do you have a pic showing how all of that is hooked up now?

topbanna70

Reaction score
Can you post a picture of the correct set up dadeo I'm not really sure what your talking about

dadeo1852

Reaction score
Just went out to the garage and took a couple pics.

DSCN2040.JPG

DSCN2041.JPG

topbanna70

Reaction score
I unhooked the outer linkages and now it runs even worse but to daves69 thank you so much for that link

dadeo1852

Reaction score
So where you at now with your carbs. Did you do what the above suggested with the idle mixture screws, fuel bowl levels set, vacuum lines on, outboard carbs throttle plates closed? Can you get it to idle?

Back