• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

TTi Header Install on '70 Barracuda with 440

cudaclive

Reaction score
What is a good height to have the car to get these headers in? I managed to get the passengers side installed with some swearing, the car is about a foot and a half off the ground. Drivers side, no way. I'm not sure I can get it any higher. Wish I had a lift. It seems easy, when you watch the video with a lift, just tilt up and in. Its not fair!
Any help would be appreciated.

Clive

Reaction score
Maybe if you can't get it lifted higher, try undoing the motor mount thru bolt and jacking the motor up on the left side. That may create additional room to get the header in. Might be worth a try.

cudaclive

Reaction score
Got it up another inch and half, that's it. Helped a little, but not enough. Don't really won't to remove the steering column. Anyone install these with just axle stands?

Reaction score
What exactly are the headers binding up on? Would removing the starter help if you haven't already done so? Is the drag link in the way?Are the spark plugs removed? Many Years ago I installed hooker headers in a 440 E body only using jack stands, I remember a very very tight fit.

cudaclive

Reaction score
I can't get the angle of the header to go up and in. The steering column is in the way. Starter is out, spark plugs out, moved the steering linkage out of the way, and raised the engine an extra inch and a half. I just need more height. Not sure if I want the car balancing on more blocks of wood.

Clive

Reaction score
Well it sounds like you will have to lift the car higher even if you don't want to. It seems odd that the right side would go but not the left. It sounds like you've tried everything else. Good luck sorry my ideas didn't help

Challenged

Reaction score
Maybe if you can't get it lifted higher, try undoing the motor mount thru bolt and jacking the motor up on the left side. That may create additional room to get the header in. Might be worth a try.
What is a good height to have the car to get these headers in? I managed to get the passengers side installed with some swearing, the car is about a foot and a half off the ground. Drivers side, no way. I'm not sure I can get it any higher. Wish I had a lift. It seems easy, when you watch the video with a lift, just tilt up and in. Its not fair!
Any help would be appreciated.

Clive
Try jacking up the rear of the car if you only have the front end jacked up. Perhaps that will provide you with more working clearance.

chrisperanio

Reaction score
Got it up another inch and half, that's it. Helped a little, but not enough. Don't really won't to remove the steering column. Anyone install these with just axle stands?
pulling the steering column is easy and its the only way i could get my header to go in on that side. one roll pin 4 bolts and 3 plugs.

cudaclive

Reaction score
Didn't have to remove the steering, lots a wiggling, but its in. But now the idler arm hits the header. I need a 1/4 to 1/2 inch more clearance. This just keeps getting more painful. I don't have the clearance to raise the engine. Is there a idler arm that is not so big? See picture attached.

IMG_4015.JPG

Cuda_mark

Reaction score
I installed the 1-7/8" TTI headers on my Challenger with a 440. The engine isolaters I was using didn't put the engine in the exact right spot so the passengers side header would hit the inner fender under heavy load. I had much better luck with the shumacher polylock isolators..they came with shims so I could get the engine right where it needed to be. That might help your problem too...or just loosen both mounts up and see if you can tweak the engine over a bit.

Avalanche

Reaction score
Didn't have to remove the steering, lots a wiggling, but its in. But now the idler arm hits the header. I need a 1/4 to 1/2 inch more clearance. This just keeps getting more painful. I don't have the clearance to raise the engine. Is there a idler arm that is not so big? See picture attached.

Do you have fast ratio arms?
If you do, changing to standard arms will cure your problem.

cudaclive

Reaction score
Do you have fast ratio arms?
If you do, changing to standard arms will cure your problem.
I do have fast ratio arms. I will switch out, thanks. If the angle of the arms were slightly changed they would fit perfectly. Can't see that making any difference on how the car handles. Maybe TTi should make the new quick ratio arms, I would buy them.

cudaclive

Reaction score
I installed a Moog idler arm and it was slightly shorter, so now it clears the header, with an eighth of an inch to spare. I still have the quick ratio pitman arm. Is the idler arm quick ratio? It doesn't say and the parts guy didn't have that info either. Would it make a difference if it wasn't? As long as it gets aligned it should be okay, am I wrong on this?

Avalanche

Reaction score
I was always under the assumption that you needed to run both the idler and pitman arms the same. Either both fast ratio or both not.
Maybe someone with more experience can chime in.

Racer57

Reaction score
Every time I start thinking about headers, I read posts like this to remind me of why they ain't on it !!! :D

aussiemark

Reaction score
Didn't the TA and AAR have a quick ratio pitman arm and standard idler arm when new? I did see a video where some guy's dynoed an engine with headers then beat the header tubes with hammers then run it again and there was virtually no loss so they really belted them up with sledge hammers for a small loss and basically had to near collapse the tubes before a big loss happened so maybe a dent for clearance?

Last edited:
Back