• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Bent valve?

cdummer43

Reaction score
Wondering if anyone has bent a valve in there motor and how you may have come to realize that it was bent. What are the signs of a bent valve? Thanks in advance.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
If you have a bent valve it likely wouldn't be seating and a compression test would be a good place to start. What makes you think this? Is your engine stock or modified?

moparleo

Reaction score
Very simple. Remove the valve cover on the head that you think is the problem. You will probably see it without even starting the motor. I have had a valve keeper pop loose and the valve got cocked in the valve guide. A badly bent valve will stick in the guide. Valve job time.

moper

Reaction score
You will see the compression in that cylinder down, potentially it won;t fire at all. Once you note the low cylinder pressure, you stick an air hold on it or do a leakdown and you can hear where the air is going. Another quick reference - take the valve cover and rockers off and look. If one is suspiciously lower than the others it's probably bent.

cdummer43

Reaction score
If you have a bent valve it likely wouldn't be seating and a compression test would be a good place to start. What makes you think this? Is your engine stock or modified?

I replaced the valve seals last year and I had to use a little muscle to get the valve keepers loose. Don't know if I bent one slightly at that time and when I was "playing" (high speed, high RPM) at a later date if that really bent it.

moparmaniac10

Reaction score
When I bent my valve, I noticed it very hard to start. I took the air cleaner off, hit the throttle and heard a small ticking sound. I did a compression test, had 150 psi in all cylinders except one. That was the culprit. Only made a small mark on the piston top. Not bad. Luckily this didn't happen at high revs.

Cudafever

Reaction score
ok lets start from the beginning. Why do you think you bent a valve? is it ticking, knocking or just running rough?

Back