• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Torsion bar position?

Tirekickertoo

Reaction score
Hello, I'm installing torsion bars in my 70 Challenger. Do I install them tight into the lower control arm sockets or have them tight against the rear (transmission cross member area) locking rings? I have some front to back "wiggle room". Do I split the difference? Does it matter?

From an earlier post I now have the correct left/right (drivers side passengers side) torsion bar position. Thanks!

Thank you for your help,

Tirekickertoo

DetMatt1

Reaction score
I don't think it matters. They're greased up a bit on the ends so I would imagine they settle themselves into place.

challenger6pak

Reaction score
I split the difference. It doesn't really matter. Make sure they are greased. They do move with the flexing of the car and they can make noise if they are dry.

Tirekickertoo

Reaction score
DON NOT USE ANY TOOLS THAT CAN GOUGE OR SCRATCH THE TORSION BAR WHEN INSTALLING. THESE CAN CAUSE THE TORSION BARS TO CRACK/BREAK.

Thanks to everyone that replied to my post. I appreciate your feedback. Before I started any suspension work on this car, a Mopar friend recommended that I use the correct suspension tools. I purchased the tools. It has made this job a lot easier.

Thank you,

Tirekickertoo

rocketboy

Reaction score
Hi there took out torsion on 73 cuda i got them mixed up one says on end. ovL 7749 other 063 775L witch side Thanks Kevin

DetMatt1

Reaction score
L should stand for left which would mean driver's side but I think the part numbers should be consecutive and the odd was always one side while even on the other. Are you sure you're reading the numbers right?

340challconvert

Reaction score
Found this torsion bar chart that could be useful
Shows original ID numbers as well as part numbers

torsion bars.jpg

Dino2 (1).gif

In my case the 778R and 779L bars were installed on an A66 340 car with the factory HD suspension, Odd number left, even number rt side.
Bars were installed with the number toward the front.

Last edited:

rocketboy

Reaction score
Ok thank you so much. i DID SOME MORE LOOKING AND 774 AND 775 . RIGHT SIDE SHOULD BE 774 LEFT SIDE 775

Back