• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Upper control arm installation

LimeR/T

Reaction score
Does anybody have any tips or tricks installing upper A arms without scratching the new paint?

Thanks!
71CudaGreen47.jpg

moparlee

Reaction score
The first scratch is always a tough one, but you will get over it. Looks nice BTW.

71Plym

Reaction score
I had the same issue, and do not have a really good answer. I used tape to protect as much paint as possible. Lots of grease to help the install. Lots of patience. Then used some touch up paint. Good luck.

LimeR/T

Reaction score
Thanks gentlemen! Wanted to make sure their wasn't some ancient secret handed down from generation to generation before I dove in....

C O D Y

Reaction score
Nice job! A small amount of wheel bearing grease will help, but most likely going to get a few small scratches. I would suggest blacking out (sound deadener) your wheel area first. It looks much better when you can't see color in the wheels areas when the car is done. And that will help you not ruin your paint on the top of your fenders. Would hate to see a rock come off the tire and put a star (ding) in the top of your fender. The undercoating helps prevent that from happening.

Good luck.

IMG_20160726_113622731.jpg

underpat (1).jpg

LimeR/T

Reaction score
Thanks Cody! I bought some of Resto-ricks Undercoating for the wheel wells. Just wanted to get all my ducks in a row....

C O D Y

Reaction score
The Resto Ricks stuff is pretty good. Get a cheap Shutz gun to apply it and you'll get nice results with that stuff.

LimeR/T

Reaction score
Great! thanks for the help and pictures Cody...Oh by the way I found a 3438172 correct dated alternator, in case you were still looking:)

C O D Y

Reaction score
Thanks for keeping an eye out for an alternator. I was able to find one. :)

AUSTA

Reaction score
If you have high build undercoat in there the scratches will be worse as the UCA is quick a firm fit & when doing the camber & caster it will rip up the paint.
What i did was linished a clean area on both the contact areas using a small air belt sander so it look neat then covered with a light smear of grease to protect the surface

Back