• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

correct look for '73 master cylinder?

cowdoc

Reaction score
Was looking to swap out my master cylinder ('73 Challenger 340 w/brake booster). Ordered a new "factory correct" one from Jim's Auto Parts in NH. Paid over $200 for it. It has a splotch of blue paint on the front of the MC, and some on the engine side. It's Sunday and I can't call them, so I figured I'd post it here and see if anyone knows:

ATTACH]
master%20cylinder%201_zpsiiw9kq2o.png

master%20cylinder%202_zpsvf6xwtix.png

Is this one of those "factory correct looks", or should I be looking to send it back? Thanks!

Attachments

• master%20cylinder%201_zpsiiw9kq2o.png
    master%20cylinder%201_zpsiiw9kq2o.png
    104.6 KB · Views: 173

cowdoc

Reaction score
I spoke to the company yesterday, and they said the blue swatch is an inspection mark. Really??

quapman

Reaction score
Unless you're doing a 100 point concours restoration, the master you got from Jim's is about $150 more than you should have paid.

The blue inspection splotch is probably factory correct, but again, is this a judged show car?

cowdoc

Reaction score
Unless you're doing a 100 point concours restoration, the master you got from Jim's is about $150 more than you should have paid.

The blue inspection splotch is probably factory correct, but again, is this a judged show car?

Well i was looking for the correct MC, with the rounded edge, and they had it, so.......

They had the other ones for half the money, yes.

I've just never seen a Mopar with that blue mark on it.

While we're on the MC topic, I was getting ready to bench bleed it with the tubes and what-not. The guy at NAPA told me that's no longer the recommended method, since the seals are dry off the shelf and you run the risk of rolling them over without lubrication. He said simply put the plugs in, back them off slightly, fill the reservoirs, and just wait for the air to work it's way out. Anyone have feelings one way or the other?

Thank you for your replies, guys!

quapman

Reaction score
There's a newer "new" way to bleed now? LOL. I've been going with the plastic plugs, fill the master and pump up until the pedal is stiff. The last few I've bought did NOT come with tubes, just solid plastic plugs. (I do it on the car, as opposed to a literal bench.) I do usually fill the reservoirs and wait until I don't see bubbles coming up as well.

I was told by my NAPA guy not to go to the boards as that's a good way to kill a new master by scraping the o-rings. (Not sure if "scraping" is a good word, but it's all I've got right now.) I usually go with quick, halfway compressions. So far, so good.

One of my older friends swears by the gravity bleed method, but it's too messy for me.

Back