• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

1970 Challenger rear seat/trunk divider

dean

Reaction score
The divider has the sound deadening jute backing glued to it. Which side should go to the trunk area? Thanks

71RT383

Reaction score
On my '71 the jute backing (insulation pad) was facing the trunk area. Hope this helps.

quapman

Reaction score
You guys have pics? I've never seen one with jute on it from the factory.

Adam

Reaction score
Well, If it did, or did not have jute I would put the black side visible to the open trunk for a cleaner look. My replacement divider did not have any insulation, but I put a layer of "E-Dead" sound deadener on the seat side..

71RT383

Reaction score
When I bought back my current R/T challenger from a friend, most of it was dismantled. Within the interior he had removed and discarded the rug, package tray, the rear seat divider, and trunk mat, jack hook and spring, spare tire w/rim and hold down rod.
My first R/T challenger that I owned from around 1979-1985 had the rear seat divider and the jute material was towards the trunk. Whether or not the previous owner had turned it around or not is unknown.
Year one and Layson's Restorations both sell the seat dividers and the jute insulation pad, both of which have to be glued to the divider.
Although Laysons catalog- relates that the jute padding should be glued to the divider "seat side" prior to installation of the divider panel. A tech suggested with the jute facing the seats, the rear backrest may bind and may not fit correctly to the package tray. He suggested to first tape it to the seat side of the divider and test fit and if happy with the fit , then glue it.. Otherwise try on the trunk side and test fit.
Unfortunately, I do not have any pictures of this, and only one or two 35mm pictures of the car itself. Live and learn- I now try to snap the shutter as many times as I can (Yes, mostly digital). I guess learning late is better than not learning the lesson at all !

Back