• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Pirate Jack Brake Brake Rotors...DANGER! READ THIS!

drewtx

Reaction score
IF YOU HAVE PIRATE JACK ROTORS...READ THIS! DANGEROUS! I posted this on the B Body forum, but thought I should also post it here as we all use the same front brake rotors.

Today, I planned on installing new drilled slotted front rotors for my 1971 Charger that I purchased from Pirate Jack. They are part number 5314RX and 5314LX and fit 1962-1972 Mopar B&E Body. I did not want to use the preinstalled bearing races (also called cups) that come with the rotors, as overseas manufactures will use the cheapest available. I removed the inner race to install an SKF bearing race (part number BR6) and realized the diameter is different. The correct race OD is 59.1mm and Pirate Jack's are 59.95mm. Ok, this seems like nothing but the correct race is completely loose and will not stay secure in the rotor. Also the correct ID of the race should be 48.2mm, but Pirate Jack's is 49.2mm which means the bearing is riding incorrectly in the race. This could EASILY lead to dangerous catastrophic failure! As I have two new inner bearings (left and right) I took the photo below showing the bearing seated in Pirate Jack's race (left) and the correct race (right). You would not likely have noticed this when installing, unless you removed the preinstalled race.

Thoughts or feedback on this?

piratejack5314-inner-race-jpg.jpg
ce_41091006_fro-jpg.jpg

drewtx

Reaction score
I have sent an email to Pirate Jack...and will update.

drewtx

Reaction score
In my 20's and 30's, I was ASE certified in suspension and brake systems so feel pretty confident in this assessment. This is a real bummer.

drewtx

Reaction score
I think I've figured this out. The Pirate Jack's race has the following printed on it: "China L68111" which crosses to an SKF BR17 bearing/race set used in 1973 and up Chrysler products. It looks like they've used the wrong race. It is approximately 1mm larger and the mating bearing is not interchangeable. As I mentioned before, I would not have likely noticed this if I had not removed the original Pirate Jack's rotor race to replace it with a quality SKF.

Incorrect:
BR17 bearing-race dimensions:
Outer Diameter (in) 2.3612
Pirate Jack's rotor. 1973 and later Chrysler/Dodge.

Correct:
BR6 bearing-race dimensions:
Outer Diameter (in) 2.328
1972 and earlier Chrysler/Dodge.

Adam

Reaction score
Good info, Thanks.
I try not to buy Chinese, but sometimes it cant be avoided.

AUSTA

Reaction score
I think I've figured this out. The Pirate Jack's race has the following printed on it: "China L68111" which crosses to an SKF BR17 bearing/race set used in 1973 and up Chrysler products. It looks like they've used the wrong race. It is approximately 1mm larger and the mating bearing is not interchangeable. As I mentioned before, I would not have likely noticed this if I had not removed the original Pirate Jack's rotor race to replace it with a quality SKF.

Incorrect:
BR17 bearing-race dimensions:
Outer Diameter (in) 2.3612
Pirate Jack's rotor. 1973 and later Chrysler/Dodge.

Correct:
BR6 bearing-race dimensions:
Outer Diameter (in) 2.328
1972 and earlier Chrysler/Dodge.
When i was rebuilding my TA i purchased a set of upper control arms from them wnen i went to fit them i noticed the L/H ball joint was not fitted correctly , the moment i went to turn it it fell out.
The arm was manufactured incorrect so to make the unit appear correct some one had put 4 spot welds on the ball joint thread then tapped it into the arm,I threw the unit into the bin if the joint had have come out it also could have led to a dangerous failure it pays to check
all these Chinese manufactured components.
In electronics we use all genuine USA or UK components i tried a Chinese equivalent in the early days it cost me $65,000 in recalls.

Adam

Reaction score
When doing the firewall, floor pan, trunk etc. I drilled out the spot welds to remove the panels... I bought a cheap Chinese spot weld cutter that looked well made, but after drilling only 6 spot welds it was toast... I bought a 3 pack of American made bits and one bit lasted for hundreds of spot welds!

There could be a new thread on the false economy of buying Chinese stuff.

drewtx

Reaction score
I confirmed my details above are correct and Pirate Jack has revised their website. Their website now details the rotors are for 1973 and up (previously detailed 1962-1972 B/E body). I'm not sure there's a big market for 73 and up, but that's up to them. So, if you have a Pirate Jack disk brake conversion kit on your 1962-72 Mopar, it uses the rotor for 1973 and up (TIMKEN SET17 or SKF BR17 inner bearing). Pirate Jack was great and gave me a full refund and didn't require me to return the rotors. So, I've got a beautiful pair of drilled and slotted rotors for a 73 and up if you're in the Dallas-Fort Worth area...
So, I plan to try a pair of CENTRIC from Rock Auto. I have not decided if I will get the drilled and slotted ($96 each) or just the standard ($55 each). These are also made in China, but unfortunately there's no other option at this time. Any thoughts on this?

Back