• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Distributor Performance

Zyli

Reaction score
My Stock Distributor are killed and now I want to Upgrade with Ooher Parts inside to get high Performance Distributior.

My Ignition Setup are :
MSD Street Fire Ignition Box
MSD Blaster SS Coil
8,5 MSD Superconductor sparke wires

What for Ignition Module for Distributor could you recommend ?
PerTronix Ignitor 3 are a good decision where will have a good quality and work perfect ?

Cudafever

Reaction score
You are running MSD everything else, why not go with a MSD distributor...........or is that now what you're asking for??

moparleo

Reaction score
Also if you just install the Pertronix conversion, It will perform the best if the rest of the distributor is in good condition. Is the shaft tight, advance weights free etc...?

Last edited:

Zyli

Reaction score
Did someone know more about or drive the Firecore RTR Distributor ?

MSD are not so good as I was meaning.
I don't buy MSD again.

Racer57

Reaction score
I ordered some orange Firecore plug wires for stock 383. I told them not to send them FedEx because they have issues finding my rural home. They said no problem, they would send them USPS. A couple days later, they called and said they messed up and they will be coming FedEx. 2 weeks later I still hadn't got them so I called and they said they would check. They called back the next day and said they got sent to a different State and I would have to wait while they sent a shipping label, have them sent back to them and then they would forward them on to me. Made me wait, instead of making up a new set. I guess orange 383 plug wires are never ordered. After 3 weeks total I finally got them. Then I got the credit card bill and they had charged it two different times and for $2.00 more each time. Called again and they said they were otw out of town and would check as soon as they got back. I called a week later and they said they were still out of town and would be for a few more days. I asked about the additional $2.00. They said that was the processing fee which is not mentioned anywhere on the invoice that came with the plug wires. After another week I called again and they said they had taken care of the double bill and would refund the additional $2.00. They did take care of the double bill, but didn't take care of the $2.00. BUT, the plug wires work great.

IQ52

Reaction score
Last edited:

brasil

Reaction score
I always used the MSD RTR Distributors... never had problem. The Distributor and a nice Coil
..all installed without the BR... Runs like a dream

Greetings Juergen

renoraider

Reaction score
I have this and it runs awesome great people.---http://thertgarage.com/products.html

Zyli

Reaction score
I have buyed the RTR Distributor from Summit what IQ52 have said.
How this RTR Distributor / Coil System get 12V ?
I have installed the RTR Distributor and the Coil but I miss the 12V for the System.
Did I have to but the 12V on the Coil and which 12V could I take

Zyli

Reaction score
Step #10 I have made but there must be a 12V Power supply for the Ignition Distributor and Coil or not ?

Was it possible to say with the place where the vacuum unit be how the RTR Distributor are installed right or wrong ?
When the Distributor are installed wrong the engine not start and than I had to turn around the Distributor for 180 degree, right?

Last edited:

IQ52

Reaction score
Installed correctly those are the only three wires needed. And of course the spark plug type wire from the center of the distributor to the coil.

If 180 degrees out, you wouldn't spin the entire distributor, just the spaded shaft coming out of the bottom of the distributor that goes into the geared intermediate shaft.

Zyli

Reaction score
I made the Ignition Finger from the Distributor to show of my 1. cylinder mark and but the cap back on the Distributor. The wires in the correct sequenz on the cap. The 3 wires from the Distributor, Red to Coil + ,
orange to Coil - and the black on ground. I but also the Tach cable on Coil - and the Ignition + from the Ignition Switch on Coil + for 12V to the system. Battery are full.
I don't know why but nothing start.
Some people have said that when the engine will not start the Distributor must turn 180 degree and than it should Start because the Distributor are wrong installed.
Maybe have to buy new spark plugs ?
On the Coil there must be 12V when I turn the key to position 2 or not ?

How I could Check the System?

IQ52

Reaction score
There must be 12V to the coil when the ignition switch is in both the 1 and 2, start and run positions. Are you still running a ballast resistor? It is not necessary with this distributor. The start and run wires can be tied together and run directly to the coil.

This is for the MSD but it is wired the same..........see page 6 for the wiring instructions.

http://documents.msdperformance.com/8360.pdf

Zyli

Reaction score
So I have to made both wires from the Ballast Resistor together and but them to the Coil + , right ?
From Ignition Switch wireing the brown wire are the Ignition + , Position 2 from the key and the blue one
are Ignition + , Position 1 from the key right ?

I must check the ground .
Normaly it must be from battery to engine and from engine to the car body , right ?
So , I have seen that my Ground wire from engine to car body are away .
Without this the engine are never will run , I think .
I had grounded the Coil , Distributor on the car body ....

I have buy some new NGK V-Power Spark Plugs ( FR5 7373 ) for the 360cui engine .
The GR4 maybe a little too hot .

Can maybe someone check if I had install the Parts for my Ready to Run Ignition System right ?

On MSD Blaster SS Coil I but the red wire from the RTR Distributor on Coil + and the orange wire on Coil -
and the black Distributor wire goes to car body ground.
The brown wire from Ignition Switch (Ballast Resistor ) , I but them alone without the blue wire on the Coil + .
Now I knew that I have to but the brown and blue wire from BR together and but them together on Coil + ( Thx IQ52 )

The Engine was on DTC (in Europe we call it OT ) when I made the mark from the Ignition Finger position 1. Cylinder .
I but the old out and made the new RTR in , at this point I take care that the vacuum connection be
on the same position as the old one .
I hope I didn`t install the Distributor on the wrong way round .
The spark plug wires I but clockwise beginning at the 1.Cylinder from the old Distributor cap to the new one .
Starter turns , also the engine turns but will not run .

Normaly there must be 12V on Coil from Ignition Switch ( old BR wires ) and there must be spark on
the spark plugs but there isn`t....
Can it be that the lost ground wire from engine to car body makes up so much ?
Someone in the german Moparforum said that the engine should start also when this ground not there ....

@ IQ52 I have take a look of the MSD link and this is the same as I had installed.

Back