• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

1971 Cuda Rallye dash ....Correct or not ?

76orangewagon

Reaction score
MY 71 Cuda' has a Rallye dash that I know is not original to the car, it is coded on the broadcast sheet for the standard gauge cluster. I'm debating if I want to restore it or put the car back to the original standard dash and my question is what is it really out of ? Through my research I see that 70-71 had the 8,000 RPM tachometer and trip odometer and clock set knob in the bezel housing. Mine has trip/clock knobs like the 72-74 style that go through the gauge but has the 8,000 RPM tach. The obvious answer is that someone just swapped out the tachometer and it's defiantly a 72-74 style, but could this be factory correct ? My car is a late April/early May 1971 build car and some things were transitioning to a 1972 model year could the Cuda' rallye dash be have been this way also and I just happen to have one?
005 (800x745).jpg
002 (800x600).jpg
004 (600x800).jpg
003 (800x600).jpg

DetMatt1

Reaction score
I'm guessing someone added the 8K tach to the later cluster. I don't think It hurts the value of the car to upgrade to the Rallye instrument cluster. I would make an effort to find the correct one for the year of the car though. I also don't think your car is late enough to have had any '72 parts on it.

challenger6pak

Reaction score
90% of the people who see your car will not know the difference.

76orangewagon

Reaction score
I'm guessing someone added the 8K tach to the later cluster. I don't think It hurts the value of the car to upgrade to the Rallye instrument cluster. I would make an effort to find the correct one for the year of the car though. I also don't think your car is late enough to have had any '72 parts on it.
I am leaning toward picking up a non-rallye cluster and putting it back the way it originally came.

76orangewagon

Reaction score
90% of the people who see your car will not know the difference.
That's true, heck I didn't know until now after doing a little research. But there's always that one guy at the car shows who will make it a point to mention it. I really want the car put back fairly close to original and will have to decide if I want to restore it or not. The Cuda is a very bare bones optioned car and the standard dash might just go better.

RUNCHARGER

Reaction score
I don't know if I could drive one of these cars looking at the standard cluster.

Sheldon

challenger6pak

Reaction score
I feel the speedometer is easier to see with the standard cluster.

challenger6pak

Reaction score
Most people think a Cuda came with a rallye cluster. Did yours have the black or the woodgrain standard cluster? If you go standard cluster don't get a 70 Challenger standard cluster. They look the same without the bezel but mount differently. The one guy will find something else wrong with the car. Tell him to take a hike.

aussiemark

Reaction score
You could put the standard cluster back in and add an original clock or a Redline gauge works tacho or oil pressure gauge in the fourth pod hole in place of the blank off plate.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
I changed out the standard cluster for a Rallye in my convertible even though the car was originally a standard cluster, flat hood car. Long ago the Rallye hood and T/A spoiler were added and it always had the longitudinal stripes. The standard cluster just always seemed out of place to me on my car.

76orangewagon

Reaction score
If the cluster was a correct piece for the car I would have less of a problem spending the money to have it restored... but since it is definitely the wrong one for the year of the car I think I may feel better selling this one and use the $$$ to buy and restore something correct.

rolling_thunder

Reaction score
Not my car but I actually like the standard cluster.... I would go with original --- that being said it is your car - do what makes you happy

quapman

Reaction score
The Road Lamp switch should be under the dash with the rallye cluster as well. I personally like it better where you have it, but there's always that one guy...

mmissile

Reaction score
I like the standard cluster better. It looks more like real gauges and a speedo. The cheap woodgrain on the rallye cluster, doesn't do a thing for me.

76orangewagon

Reaction score
002 (800x399).jpg
Okay folks,
I was looking around the internet today and found this little bit of information from Performance Car Graphics...Thoughts ? Do I really have a late dash as indicated here or not I guess ill have to pull it out and look for some numbers...

Moparparts

Reaction score
I have a nice used 71 Cuda standard dash cluster. Message me if interested

Back