• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

8.75 No Axle end play

cuda'parr

Reaction score
I took the 741 third member out of my 71 cuda that had 3.91's and is a spring type posi. I installed a 489 with 3.23's clutch type. Used my same axles but changed all seals, bearings, spacers and gaskets. Torqued everything up and go to set the axle end play and everything is tight. Back off the 5 axle retainer plate bolts 2 turns and I get end play. Is the third member pin that hold the side gears different lengths from the two types?
Any ideas?

AUSTA

Reaction score
Have you tried adjusting the axle end play castle nut of the passenger side it is the one that screws into the retainer plate with the locking tab on 1 bolt

cuda'parr

Reaction score
You can have the adjuster collar on the passenger side all the way backed off(counter clockwise) and still no play. The bearings are the tapered style yukon gear set that mancini sells.

Last edited:

moper

Reaction score
Have you tried to set the endplay? With the adjuster backed out all the way, take a soft mallet and whack both axle flanges. The pin might be stuck.

Back