• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

What suspension to use?

Dillon

Reaction score
I have a 70 challenger. Obcourse its in the body shop now getting the body perfect, b but i was wondering what would be some suspension ideas for a big block. I want to know leaf springs ? Coil overs? Any brands to go with? Any input is nice thanks.

Adam

Reaction score
The torsion bar suspension is an excellent design, copied by Toyota, and currently being used in GMC trucks. That being said, there is room for improvement. e.g. polyurethane bushings, offset upper control arm bushings, lower control arm stiffening plates, and thicker torsion bars... In my opinion Challengers sit too low in the back, I like ESPO 1 inch over springs... just my personal taste.

Firmfeel Mopar Suspension and Steering
B/E/A Body Cars | AR Engineering
All Just Suspension Results - English | JustSuspension.com

71Plym

Reaction score
Since your car is already getting painted, I would expect all suspension components will be bolt on only. No welding.
My Cuda has poly bushings, stock UCA and LCA, steel strut rods, big block torsion bars, QA1 shocks. If the K member is not detailed yet, some guys weld all the seams to stiffen. My rear suspension is EPSO 1" over HD springs, offset kit, caltracs, and QA1 shocks.
Selkirk 2015 1.JPG

TC_Cuda

Reaction score
This may be to late because, it requires wielding but, I used a U.S. Car Tools kit that has frame connectors, fender braces, radiator brace and, torque box's. If your shop has not started final body work, I'm sure they could install something like this. It really stiffens the chassis. It also looks like it belongs there as they are form fitting. As for the rest of the suspension stock lower and upper arms with poly bushings, 0.96 torsion bars, 1.25 front sway bar, hemi/6pack rear springs and, KYB gas shocks Just as a note I have a Big Block in my car ( 440 ) and the torsion bars I chose are just a little bigger than stock 0.96 compared to 0.92 I have a friend that runs 1.03 bar but, I just didn't want that stiff of a ride and it is stiff.

As for me I love the way my car rides and handles but, remember, it really is personal preference.

Back