• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Have a question on Rear Diff

John Be

Reaction score
I have a 1970 Barracuda with the 7 1/4 rear and would like to replace it with something to match a 440 stroker. I found a Dana 60 it measures 49.5 inches outside width from axle to axle. Will this fit?

I'd like to get wider tires, something in the area of 295/315's.

Also, what is the stock width of a rear Diff?

I also read other Mopar bodies Rear Diff's will also fit to allow wider wheels.
What Body is that from and how wide is that rear??

Thanks for all your help!

TC_Cuda

Reaction score
That is very short, but, you can make anything fit if you have the tools and skill, a Cuda rear end is ...1970-1974 E-body 61-5/8″ drum to drum
The B body rear (1968-1970 B-body 60-1/8″) is the most common swap, but you will need to install an offset spring kit to match the spring pads, (this is what most do if your going this way) and it will give you more tire clearance. I just used a stock 8 3/4 and installed 1" offset kit for more tire clearance

John Be

Reaction score
TC_Cuda, Great information! Thanks so much for your help.
When you say that you just used a STOCK 8 3/4, was that from a E Body or B.
Also, what will the widest tire fit on yours?

TC_Cuda

Reaction score
I used the stock E body rear end, and just installed the offset hanger kit. As far as tires and rims I am still running my rally rims, as I am on hold for a bit. ( I am getting ready to move )
It's a bit tight, but, you can fit 295's under the back of a stock E body IF you roll the fender lip and have the right back spacing ( I ran a 15 x 8.5 with 4.5 BS in the past)
My plan so far is to go with 17" x 9 rims with 5" BS or 5.25 BS if its available and 275-50-17 Nitto tires in the back .. but I am still doing more research

John Be

Reaction score
Thank you once again, I too would like to go with 17" wheels but the Rally variety.
If I got a B Body rear, what BS will I need and will I be able to fit 315's???

TC_Cuda

Reaction score
I have not had any experience with a 315 tire, but, I think I would be a bit too big.. again I don't know for sure, I do know that they would be tall (315/60-15) ... about 30" tall and 12" wide and I think you need a 10" rim. The 275/50-17 are about 28 tall and 10" wide and I can use a 9" wide rim.
On the BS if you use a B body rear end would be 4.5" max and of course you need the 1" offset spring hangers. Since I am using a E body rear end I want more BS because the rear is wider. Please remember, the numbers I listed are approximate, and you will need to measure twice before you order anything.

I hope this help's some, and I'm sure someone here has some better input

John Be

Reaction score
Between the B-Body rear and the 1" offset kit used on the E-body rear is there any difference?

71Plym

Reaction score
Stock e-body width dana 60, 1" offset springs, 295/65-15 tires, custom BS 8" wide cop rims. Lots of measuring to get everything to fit with no rubbing.
Selkirk 2015 4.JPG

TC_Cuda

Reaction score
Between the B-Body rear and the 1" offset kit used on the E-body rear is there any difference?

E body rear end- E Body 70-'74= 46" between spring perches and B body B Body 68 - 70= 44" - 71 - 74 = 47.3"
If you use a 68 to 70 B body rear end, you should be able to install an offset kit, and then just drop it in with no welding, as the pads are 1" different on each side.
Is this the info you wanted ? I hope it help's.

Back