• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

70 BARRACUDA script emblem on dash - chrome or black?

hofilbert

Reaction score
Is the Barracuda emblem on the right side of the dash supposed to be all black or chrome (w/black shadow)? I've seen both. This is not the type in the rectangle, but just script by itself. Is there a difference in Barracuda and 'Cuda script color? The 'cudas appear black more often and others are chrome. I see Classic industries sells a chrome version only.
Thanks for the help.

cuda dad

Reaction score
Our original 1970 'cuda 340 is black and does not appear to have had silver on it. Then again, never say never. It could have worn all of the way off.

Last edited:

Reaction score
My 70 is a silver Color definitely not Chrome, it's half worn off now from cleaning it over the years. I'll take a picture tomorrow and post it. I've owned my Cuda since 1972 so I know it hasn't been messed with.
Ken

Reaction score
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Here's a couple of pictures, there's more silver worn off than I thought! Hope this helps, anyone else with better photos? The emblem is definitely silver no chance it was chromed. Production date of October 69

Sixpaksteve

Reaction score
I had the same question about the original color of my dash emblem (1970, 440/6 Cuda built Nov. 1969) after I had the dashpad restored. Over the years I saw about a 50/50 mix of guys whose emblems were either silver or black, so not knowing which was right I just left mine black until last year. That's when I happened upon the RK Motors Website down in Charlotte, NC.. An award winning 1970 Hemi Cuda they had sold from there was professionally restored by Roger Gibson. The paperwork on the car indicated that it was built just 2 days before mine at the same plant, and the final convincer for me was that the Hemi car was F8 Green - just like my car. Roger G.'s 'Barracuda' emblem in the Hemi car was Silver and that was good enough for me.

Forgot to mention that to paint mine the silver color, I used a paint pen that I picked up at a Michael's Craft Store. I taped around the 'Barracuda' script as a precaution, and then I got the paint flowing in the pen on a piece of cardboard first before I moved to the dash. The pen worked great on the raised script lettering and I think it turned out just fine.... :)

Last edited:

hofilbert

Reaction score
Those paint pens work OK, but not great and will rub off easily.
My script is black and the former owner, a pretty knowledgeable Mopar man that had my car for 20+ years, said the dash script is supposed to be black. I think I will take a magnifying glass to mine and see if there is any silver residue.
As far as repainting, I'm sure they are not easy to remove, paint and simply reinstall, but I would try to slip some paper or thin plastic sheet underneath the script from all directions then airbrush the silver back on with silver lacquer paint.

mmissile

Reaction score
I'm gonna go with silver. Besides having a couple that were worn-silver...I can't see any point in having an emblem you can't see.

EV2RTSE

Reaction score
They were originally plastic chrome plated, however the original finish comes off VERY VERY easily which is why so many think they are/were black. If you have a dashpad restored by Just Dashes it will come back with a rechromed emblem. Here's a photo of Dave Walden's white 440 Challenger, one of the best restored e-bodies in the world - not sure but I believe the pad is NOS.

L.jpg

hofilbert

Reaction score
I just got an email back from a large mopar restoration house and I asked the same question to them. They simply said "silverish".
I just went out and tried to slip a piece of thin plastic mylar underneath the emblem and it slipped under the emblem with great ease.
So, that's what I am going to do is slide some mylar underneath as a mask for the dash, ensuring I have it completely covered all around the emblem's mounting bosses, then airbrush the emblem with some silver lacquer. I can post pics when I do this if anyone wants to see how it is done. I am a modeler and prototyper so it will be easy for me. Here is a pic of the mylar as I tested it underneath the emblem.

emblem.jpg

EV2RTSE

Reaction score
Sounds good, I have a mint original pad and rather than risking damage to the emblem pulling it off to have it redone I was just going to leave it with the finish worn off. Will be interested to see how yours turns out. Here's a photo of my brother's pad he got back from Just Dashes recently. Just a guess but I would think the process used to refinish the emblem these days is probably different than the way it was done originally, maybe the originals weren't as bright.
Challenger Dash Script Emblem.jpeg

Sixpaksteve

Reaction score
Just Dashes must have changed their restoration process a bit since they did my dash back in the early 2000's. They did a great job on the green dash pad itself but my emblem came back to me black. Nice to see Dave Walden's car (and others) further confirming that the emblem should be 'silverish'. :)

Reaction score
Here are a couple photos I just took of my original 1970 AAR dash Barracuda emblem to answer your question. It is not worn off and is as came from factory. You can see it is a steel silver on the lettering faces only, none on the sides of the lettering. The steel silver is dull and not shinney.

P1010431.JPG

P1010430.JPG

P1010428.JPG

P1010433.JPG

/sixchall

Reaction score
Not sure if this will help, but my early build 70 challengers ( Aug. 69 ) dash pads Challenger emblem was black. Have owned since 1973.

Back