• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Automatic to Manual

booyaballer

Reaction score
I have an automatic 70 Challenger with a 360 six pack crate engine. I plan to convert it to a manual transmission (i gotta have a pistol grip!!). what considerations do i need to make?

TC_Cuda

Reaction score
I see this is your first post, so, first thing's first, welcome to the site.

I considered going to a manual so I could get overdrive, but, as I have gotten older I prefer an auto ( it never misses a shift ) I know other's will have more info, but till then...
A few things to consider. Do you want it to be all stock? If it doesn't have to be all stock, you can you a hydraulic clutch set up that gives you more options, and clearance. Have you considered going to a 5 speed?
If you stay stock you will of course need to install a 4 speed tunnel, but they are readily available. So a little more info will be very helpful and we all like to see pictures

moparlee

Reaction score
If you want to stay with the stock set up, talk to Brewer's. They can set you up with all the parts you would need for the conversion.

RUNCHARGER

Reaction score
All stock parts so it's an easy swap. The one thing you have to watch is getting a correctly balanced flywheel for the 360 you are using.

Sheldon

booyaballer

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. i'm also having the rear end rebuilt. currently i have 3.23 gears. i plan to get bigger wheels. do you guys suggest to keep the gearing and should i consider different axles?

TC_Cuda

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. I'm also having the rear end rebuilt. currently i have 3.23 gears. i plan to get bigger wheels. do you guys suggest to keep the gearing and should i consider different axles?

With my 3.23 I'm doing about 3000 rpm at 70 mph, with a 26" tall tire, if I go to a 28" tall tire, it would be about 2700 rpm.
If I use my 3.55 it is about 3200 rpm with 26" tire, and about 3000 rpm with a 28" tire, at 70 mph.
Hope this info help a little

RUNCHARGER

Reaction score
3.23, 4 speed is a stock combo. I find it nice on the highway but you have to slip the clutch a bit to get it rolling.

Sheldon

Back