• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Window Guides – 1970 Dodge Challenger R/T

Coloradotim

Reaction score
Need help identifying and installation instructions for window guides. I bought the car with windows, regulators and guides in a box of parts. The driver and passage side door windows and back quarter panels are all installed now. Everything works but seems to be lots of play. I assume the guides tighten things up. I’m just not sure where these parts go. (see photos). As you can see, the felt is worn or missing. I was able to install the windows using my Challenger Service Manual. However, I can’t seem to find any reference to these parts. Can anyone tell me where these guys go? Am I missing parts? Pictures? Thanks in advance!

20160317 Window Guides 2.jpg
20160317 Window Guides.jpg

Grady Cain

Reaction score
Using my photo as a reference will show where these guides go. If the photos you provided are the same picture at 2 different angles, then you are definitely missing pieces. Using your top photo and going left to right: You should have 4 of the first piece with the large bolt hole in it. They should have a fuzzy covering where it touches the glass (looks like you may have a couple of them in your photo.) These touch the inside surface of the glass and are bolted to the door structure. The only reproductions I have found are from R/T Specialties. You should have 4 of the second piece with the long slot in it. These are adjustable stops and should have a firmer, rubber-like bumper on them. They are bolted to the door structure with allen head bolts (see my photo.) You should have 2 of the next piece with the 2 small screw holes. They are kind of shorter versions of the 2 pieces you are showing on the bottom row of your photo. These should have a firm, fuzzy felt-like covering and are fixed to the end of the door structure closest to the door latch with small phillips head screws. It appears you have both of the larger guides with the small screw holes. These will have a similar covering as the previously mentioned guides (only larger) and are fixed to the end of the door closest to the hinges with small phillips head screws. I have not found any reproductions of any of the other metal and felt guides. I also see a rubber bump stop at the bottom right of your top photo. You should have 4 of these which go on the back edge of your door to cushion it
20161204_125404.jpg
when it gets closed. You should also have 1 large rubber window stop at the bottom of each door. All of the rubber stops are commonly reproduced as you probably know. Hope this helps..

moparlee

Reaction score
Grady, very nice explanation. BTW, what did you use to "glue" the plastic vapor barrier to the door?

Moparparts

Reaction score
I have the one small piece with the 2 small screw holes that you are missing one of and the others you are missing as well. If you are interested, Message me

Grady Cain

Reaction score
I used 3M spray adhesive and replicated the correct 2" black tape used by the factory at the bottom by spray-painting 2" blue painters tape.

Reaction score
Using my photo as a reference will show where these guides go. If the photos you provided are the same picture at 2 different angles, then you are definitely missing pieces. Using your top photo and going left to right: You should have 4 of the first piece with the large bolt hole in it. They should have a fuzzy covering where it touches the glass (looks like you may have a couple of them in your photo.) These touch the inside surface of the glass and are bolted to the door structure. The only reproductions I have found are from R/T Specialties. You should have 4 of the second piece with the long slot in it. These are adjustable stops and should have a firmer, rubber-like bumper on them. They are bolted to the door structure with allen head bolts (see my photo.) You should have 2 of the next piece with the 2 small screw holes. They are kind of shorter versions of the 2 pieces you are showing on the bottom row of your photo. These should have a firm, fuzzy felt-like covering and are fixed to the end of the door structure closest to the door latch with small phillips head screws. It appears you have both of the larger guides with the small screw holes. These will have a similar covering as the previously mentioned guides (only larger) and are fixed to the end of the door closest to the hinges with small phillips head screws. I have not found any reproductions of any of the other metal and felt guides. I also see a rubber bump stop at the bottom right of your top photo. You should have 4 of these which go on the back edge of your door to cushion itView attachment 33935 when it gets closed. You should also have 1 large rubber window stop at the bottom of each door. All of the rubber stops are commonly reproduced as you probably know. Hope this helps..

Reaction score
I was wondering if you have any pictures showing the door glass mounting hardware inside the door attaching the glass to the regulator and the rear of the glass where it has the metal attached to the glass as how that is attached to the regulator or guide or any pictures at all tat would show me how its suppose to be assembled in the door Thanks

Coloradotim

Reaction score
Using my photo as a reference will show where these guides go. If the photos you provided are the same picture at 2 different angles, then you are definitely missing pieces. Using your top photo and going left to right: You should have 4 of the first piece with the large bolt hole in it. They should have a fuzzy covering where it touches the glass (looks like you may have a couple of them in your photo.) These touch the inside surface of the glass and are bolted to the door structure. The only reproductions I have found are from R/T Specialties. You should have 4 of the second piece with the long slot in it. These are adjustable stops and should have a firmer, rubber-like bumper on them. They are bolted to the door structure with allen head bolts (see my photo.) You should have 2 of the next piece with the 2 small screw holes. They are kind of shorter versions of the 2 pieces you are showing on the bottom row of your photo. These should have a firm, fuzzy felt-like covering and are fixed to the end of the door structure closest to the door latch with small phillips head screws. It appears you have both of the larger guides with the small screw holes. These will have a similar covering as the previously mentioned guides (only larger) and are fixed to the end of the door closest to the hinges with small phillips head screws. I have not found any reproductions of any of the other metal and felt guides. I also see a rubber bump stop at the bottom right of your top photo. You should have 4 of these which go on the back edge of your door to cushion itView attachment 33935 when it gets closed. You should also have 1 large rubber window stop at the bottom of each door. All of the rubber stops are commonly reproduced as you probably know. Hope this helps..
Grady, Thanks very much for your response. I had not checked the forum for a couple of months and didn't realize you had posted. Your explanation helps me a lot. Again, thanks for your help!

Grady Cain

Reaction score
I was wondering if you have any pictures showing the door glass mounting hardware inside the door attaching the glass to the regulator and the rear of the glass where it has the metal attached to the glass as how that is attached to the regulator or guide or any pictures at all tat would show me how its suppose to be assembled in the door Thanks
Sorry for the delay in responding - Within the next week or so, I will be swapping out the glass that's in the car with all new date-coded glass I just received from ECS. I will document the process with plenty of photos and will respond back to you as soon as possible.

Grady Cain

Reaction score
Grady, Thanks very much for your response. I had not checked the forum for a couple of months and didn't realize you had posted. Your explanation helps me a lot. Again, thanks for your help!
You are quite welcome! Contact Tom at R/T Specialties as they are starting to reproduce more of the bumpers & felt guides. He may have what you are missing. Mark

Reaction score
Sorry for the delay in responding - Within the next week or so, I will be swapping out the glass that's in the car with all new date-coded glass I just received from ECS. I will document the process with plenty of photos and will respond back to you as soon as possible.
Thank You that would really help me

Grady Cain

Reaction score
20170223_152444.jpg

20170223_155251.jpg

20170223_152615.jpg

Again, sorry for the delay - I just got back into the garage. Using the right side window as a reference, you can see the mount at the rear that is bonded to the glass (middle photo). The upper photo shows how the regulator bolts to that mount. If you enlarge the middle photo, you should also be able to see that the vertical piece with the blue guide on it is a channel and that channel slides up and down on the rear glass run. The lower photo shows where the front of the glass is secured to the regulator with a screw. You can just see the front glass run at the top left of that lower photo and that is where the 2 regulator slides (seen in the middle photo) go. If you need anything more specific, please let me know and I will try to post more detailed photos. Hope this helps...

Reaction score
View attachment 35521
View attachment 35522
View attachment 35531
Again, sorry for the delay - I just got back into the garage. Using the right side window as a reference, you can see the mount at the rear that is bonded to the glass (middle photo). The upper photo shows how the regulator bolts to that mount. If you enlarge the middle photo, you should also be able to see that the vertical piece with the blue guide on it is a channel and that channel slides up and down on the rear glass run. The lower photo shows where the front of the glass is secured to the regulator with a screw. You can just see the front glass run at the top left of that lower photo and that is where the 2 regulator slides (seen in the middle photo) go. If you need anything more specific, please let me know and I will try to post more detailed photos. Hope this helps...

Reaction score
Thank You very much this does help me out considerably at the rear of the glass where it has the metal bond to it is there some sort of plastic spacer used between the regulator attaching arm and that part of the glass i purchased a hardware kit but unsure of which spacer would be used there if you could take one last pick would solve the puzzle and thank you for the help

Grady Cain

Reaction score
Thank You very much this does help me out considerably at the rear of the glass where it has the metal bond to it is there some sort of plastic spacer used between the regulator attaching arm and that part of the glass i purchased a hardware kit but unsure of which spacer would be used there if you could take one last pick would solve the puzzle and thank you for the help
20170224_175010.jpg
20170224_175230.jpg
20170224_175246.jpg
20170224_175846.jpg

Top left photo is from the Service Manual showing the breakdown of all the parts. Top right photo shows the 2-piece spacer that goes between the regulator and the glass at the rear mounting point (I believe this is what you are looking for.) The spacer is metal on top and a fibrous material on the bottom where it touches the glass. I don't know of anyone who reproduces these but I'm sure you could make something if you are not concerned with originality. Bottom left photo shows the bolt which goes through the regulator at the rear mounting point. This is a SEMS bolt 1/4"x20 thread - 7/16" head - 3/4" fixed washer and 1" in length. I'm not sure if this is 100% correct because my car had this bolt at the rear attachment and a large phillips screw attaching the front part of the glass to the regulator. The parts picture above is vague (although the front and rear hardware look the same) and my E-Body hardware guide book does not include any details on this hardware for some reason. I will say though, that my car is really original and it was the same scenario on both the left and right sides for whatever that's worth. Bottom right photo shows a mock-up of how the glass is mounted - bolt, then regulator, then 2-piece spacer, through the glass and into the bonded metal piece at the rear. Hope this helps...

Back