Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

origonal owner 73 Rallye

-
    Thanks

Burdar, I've said it before but the attention to detail on this car is truly unbelievable. Thanks for sharing. That K-member is a thing of beauty.

Thanks

Some more progress to report. The rear axle assembly is now installed and the car is sitting on its rear suspension.

Thanks

Burdar, I can't express enough to you how much I admire your determination and hard work. Your car will be a true work of art. What are your plans with it? It will be too nice to drive.......

Thanks

There are a few things I want to do with the car once it's done. I think the first picture I posted was infront of my grandparents house. That was the spot where all my aunts and uncles took pics of their cars. I want to go back to that house and take another picture of the car infront of it. I also want to get some pictures of it infront of the old dealership building where it was purchased. Finally, the salesman that sold my dad the car now owns the dealership. It has since moved to another town but it's still in business. I think it would be cool to get some pictures of dad and him with the car. Other then that not much. Just take it out on nice days and enjoy it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by burdar View Post
    I drove out to Ohio in March to see the progress. I took the bumpers with me too. They wanted to make sure the bumpers fit the new quarters incase I decide to put the 70-72 style brakets on the car. I also took the back glass out there to double check the fitment since the full quarters had been installed.

When I was out there I ok'd a test sample of the body color. A few weeks later, the engine compartment, trunk and entire underneith side were painted. It's really starting to look good. Here are some pics.

What colour shade of gray is that....?

Thanks

The factory paint code is JA5. Dodge called it "dark silver metallic"...Plymouth called it "silver frost metallic". I'd have to look at the extra paint I have so see what the new code is. It's a Spies Hecker Alfa Romeo color. It was a perfect match to the original paint under the jack instruction decal.

Thanks

I just got the engine reassembled and painted so I thought I'd take a few pictures. I'll be working this week at getting the engine connected to the K-member and attaching all the other accessories.

Thanks

I got the steering column done last night. The rebuild went well. It's not very complicated. I just disassembled everything and bead blasted the upper parts. I hand sanded the tube since it wouldn't fit in the blast cabinet. I painted most of the pieces with SEM Trim BLack. The ignition key light, upper and lower mounts and the lower steering shaft got painted with gloss black Rustoleum. I made a new lower seal out of some scrap material from a DMT gasket kit. I still have to clean up the steering wheel.
    Before...

After...

Steering coupler and shaft before...

Steering coupler and shaft after...

Thanks

Hey guy . Great job. Here is a message for you guys who wonder how much a car is worth. This work is priceless to the owner/builder . This would get my vote for a $75k (from another string ) car.

If you haven't done it yet, what would you think about taking all of your before and after photos and burn them to a disc and sell for a nominal amount say $5.00 each. I think it would be great reference matrial and you could not only help a lot of guys out but also make a few bucks doing it.
    People need inspiration when doing a big job and I think this is that kind of thing. Put me down for a disc if you decide to do it. You can't have too much reference material.
    Last edited by moparleo; 05-11-2012 at 03:11 PM. Reason: more info

Thanks

The amount of time and money it takes to restore a 73 is basically the same as a 70 or 71. The 73 is just worth considerably less when it's done. I'm not concerned with its monitary value at all. It was my dad's car. I remember going for rides in it when I was very young. It's priceless to me.

As far as making a CD...I highly doubt a picture CD of a 73 would sell. That being said, I'd be happy to take pictures and answer questions for anyone restoring a 72-74. I don't know know everything obviously but if I can help, I will.

I got the alternator back from Jim Ridge on Wednesday. It looks great. The original alternator was long gone. I had a 1976 casting that I tried to refinish but it didn't turn out looking very good. I was at my father-in-laws house a few years ago when he mensioned he had a couple Chrysler alternators buried on a shelf somewhere. After digging them out, I realised that one of them was a square back and had a casting date of Sept 72. How did I get that lucky? Anyway, here are some before and after pics of it.

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast