• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

1970 cuda 6.1 swap

moparmadd077

Reaction score
hi everyone! im just starting my project and have lots to do. I have never done a hemi swap so I might have to rely on some of you who have done it to help out along the way. I have a 1970 318 barracuda that im putting a 2008 6.1 hemi into. I plan on using the 904 trans that came in the car. I have a 7-1/4 rear end in the car now but I picked up a 8-3/4 with a 742 center section. I plan on going coil over in the front and disc all the way around. the car is torn down to a bare body right now. I may or may not put it on a rotisserie. it depends if I can find one or not. I will try to keep updates as I get farther along. I have two young kids and a wife that says I don't have a lot of time to work on it, but I try to get out there as much as I can.
cuda1.jpg
01.jpg
02.jpg
333333.JPG

cuda5.jpg

Adam

Reaction score
Excellent project! Will the 904 be able to handle the 6.1 for very long?

DetMatt1

Reaction score
I've never heard of anyone using a 904 behind a 6.1 and don't really know anything about these modern swaps anyway but it does look like a great project. How many miles are on the 6.1?

TC_Cuda

Reaction score
Why use a 904... I always though that one of the advantages of a swap like this, was to also get a modern overdrive trans...???
Just curious...

Reaction score
nice start.I have started my 70 cuda 6.1 hemi swap. I went with a tube style k member a 4 link rear and air ride suspension. Picked up a 04 DODGR TRUCK 545RFE TRANSMISSION.

moparleo

Reaction score
Ditch the 904 and go with the factory NAG1 trans. These were geared for the Gen III power band and will give the best driving performance. They are plentiful and if you plan to boost power in the future they are readily upgradable to as much HP as you can throw at them and the electronics are already compatible with the wiring harness required to do this swap.

73Barracuda

Reaction score
I have tossed this around. I like the idea of using the old transmissions. I am not sure about the 904 though. The reason I wont go with the NAG transmission is I dont want to cut my tunnel. I would build my 727 and buy a Gear vender 6 speed adapter capable of up to 700+ horsepower. Just my two cents.

hpjunke

Reaction score
I have tossed this around. I like the idea of using the old transmissions. I am not sure about the 904 though. The reason I wont go with the NAG transmission is I dont want to cut my tunnel. I would build my 727 and buy a Gear vender 6 speed adapter capable of up to 700+ horsepower. Just my two cents.

If you need some info let me know . I wouldn't go nag1 on swaps like this . Harness is about $700 more and you have to use toe/ ring for abs on this . You can use a small block 727 if you don't wanna use and over drive and don't wanna cut up the floor to fit a modern trans . I used a 545rfe and it required a lot of fab work. It's a trade off weather you want to do fab work or spend on a nag1 harness or you don't have to do either and use a 3speed small block 727 trans . I ended up using the ram trans because it was cheaper and they are all over for good prices. It will hold up just fine in the e body.. plus you can use the ram computer and which controls the trans and those are all over 04-10 ram

moparmadd077

Reaction score
A lot has changed since February. I picked up everything I need to do a 4 spd swap. So no more 904

Back