• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

360 with a stroker it...

B2G707

Reaction score
Hey guys! So currently I have a 360 small block in my 1970 Challenger. Not sure if I need or want all that 440 power. So I was told if I install a stroker it, it would definitely give my engine more torch and power.

Has anyone done this before? Have any suggestions? Also, if so what stroker kit should I look at?

Thanks in advance!

moparleo

Reaction score
Welcome aboard. Since you are probably not going to personally build it anyway, check with some of our sponsors who are shown on the right side of your screen and ask your questions.

B2G707

Reaction score
Welcome aboard. Since you are probably not going to personally build it anyway, check with some of our sponsors who are shown on the right side of your screen and ask your questions.
Cool thank you

moper

Reaction score
It's really more of a personal choice for you. The 440 package will take more stuff to get it in and running. The stroker will work with the trans and exhaust you have on the car already but may need upgrading to some extent in the transmission. Both make gobs of torque and can make lots of horsepower. I've done pretty much all engines but slanties in an E body. Having owned 340s, 318s, a 360, plus the 440 and 383 cars, the ease of maintanence of the smallblock and lighter weight over the tires does make a difference on tiop of that horsepower and torque if you drive the car hard enough to notice. The big block gets the looks at the cruise nights. Budget will be similar for either and that figure will depend on what you're starting with, and what you want out of it. Assuming you have the 440 core already... You'll need a transmission core, kickdown linkage, accessory brackets, big block mount plates, and headers or manifolds to get it in there.

B2G707

Reaction score
So if I end up going the Stoker kit route, I will end up easily spending close to $10,000? Because the guy I bring my car to(strictly a mopar mechanic) saids about $10,000 will get me a 440 dropped into my car replacing my 360. If a stroker kit will cost me about the same amount, I'm probably better off just waiting and do the 440. Right? Forgive me, I'm new to learning about these classic cars(especially mopars) so I'm just trying to educate myself as everyone gives me their feedback. Btw I appreciate everyones comments and suggestions.

quapman

Reaction score
$10K? You either need a new engine guy or need to learn some skills yourself. That's at least double what I consider reasonable.

IQ52

Reaction score
$10K? You either need a new engine guy or need to learn some skills yourself. That's at least double what I consider reasonable.
Really? We have no idea what quality of 440 engine, transmission and installation this "mopar mechanic" will provide. I wouldn't touch that kind of project for under $10,000. Plus a cheap turn key 360 stroker will cost $10,000 in our shop.

jimbyr

Reaction score
Stroke the 360. I bored my 340 .03 over, put a forged 4" stroker in it, Edelbrock heads, intake and carb, roller rockers and such, just under 5k with all the machine work included. 462 HP, 478 FP Torque, scary fast, less weight. I did the assembly and install. Could easily make over 500hp with a few more goodies.

Jim

jimbyr

Reaction score
SCAT makes a nice complete kit, so does Eagle

Adam

Reaction score
I agree with jimbyr, stroke the 360! The stroke on a 440 crank is 3.75 inches from the center line, a 360 stroker has a 4.00 stroke.. (making it 408 cubes) think of it as a longer handle on a wrench, the longer handle gives you more torque. You already have the 360 so you only need the rotating assembly. This is also the time to upgrade your heads, cam and intake. Much less weight and expense because you already have the 360, trans, exhaust, etc.

And you can tell people it is a 360!

If you have an automatic, you should also upgrade your converter and valve body.

moper

Reaction score
I am also a "strictly a Mopar mechanic" including complete builds from nothing. I'm completing a customer's build now that I'll have 250 hours in. I started with a non-running, incomplete, big-block 4sp swapped car. I drove the car this afternoon for the first time in 20+ years. My real job includes preparing budgets and managing $1M+ projects so I'm familiar with really understanding the big picture and what represents real value. My estimates are real-world. Not doing it all yourself. Not omitting misc items and glazing over details. Certainly anyone could build a stroker for less. But they would have to have better than a basic knowledge of the components in the engine and downstream from there, and of the chassis they were working on, plus the tools, equipment, and parts to do it. So with that understanding -

So if I end up going the Stoker kit route, I will end up easily spending close to $10,000? Because the guy I bring my car to(strictly a mopar mechanic) saids about $10,000 will get me a 440 dropped into my car replacing my 360. For a complete, all new but the castings, dyno'd and ready to install 408 built by others you will spend real close to it unless either the parts are lower price point, or the labor is cheap. It is my assertion that either of those are a sure way to spend more than you budgeted. If you dont have a 440 and transmission, you will spend more than $10K to have someone aquire everything and get it in the car for you. You certainly could "do it yourself". But that's not the fastest or easiest way to go about it.

If a stroker kit will cost me about the same amount, I'm probably better off just waiting and do the 440. Right? In my opinion - wrong. The 440 has a 3.75" stroke and weighs about 150 lbs more. The 408 has a 4" stroke. Stroke is what you immediately feel when driving the car. That's why a 440 feels so much stronger thna the 360's 3.58" stroke. So you have to weigh your options (pardon the pun). the 440 will get the looks at the drive-in. The 408 will be easier to maintain, handle, and stop better and bolt up to the transmission and radiator you have now.

Forgive me, I'm new to learning about these classic cars(especially mopars) so I'm just trying to educate myself as everyone gives me their feedback. Btw I appreciate everyones comments and suggestions.

No need to "forgive". This is what learning is about.

B2G707

Reaction score
SCAT makes a nice complete kit, so does Eagle

I think I stated it already in this post, I know for sure in others. I'm very knew to the mopar world let alone, just learning about engine terms, parts, etc.

When you say SCAT or Eagle has a complete kit. Basically, all I will have to do is purchase this complete Stroker kit specifically for my 360 and have a mechanic install it and pretty much thats it?

B2G707

Reaction score
Stroke the 360. I bored my 340 .03 over, put a forged 4" stroker in it, Edelbrock heads, intake and carb, roller rockers and such, just under 5k with all the machine work included. 462 HP, 478 FP Torque, scary fast, less weight. I did the assembly and install. Could easily make over 500hp with a few more goodies.

Jim
So just under $5,000 you were able to stroke your 360 and your very pleased with the outcome? Unfortunately, I don't know how to install or assemble anything so I definitely will be paying someone to do it for me. But I like I'm getting all this good feedback. Out here, everyone keeps saying drop a 440 in my 70 Challenger. But #1 I don't have that money at the moment and #2 I really don't think I need all that power.

B2G707

Reaction score
I agree with jimbyr, stroke the 360! The stroke on a 440 crank is 3.75 inches from the center line, a 360 stroker has a 4.00 stroke.. (making it 408 cubes) think of it as a longer handle on a wrench, the longer handle gives you more torque. You already have the 360 so you only need the rotating assembly. This is also the time to upgrade your heads, cam and intake. Much less weight and expense because you already have the 360, trans, exhaust, etc.

And you can tell people it is a 360!

If you have an automatic, you should also upgrade your converter and valve body.

Thank you for all the great feedback. Definitely going to just stroke my 360! Super excited, now just got to find the right kit and the right mechanic to do all this for me. Thanks again!

jimbyr

Reaction score

mrjlr

Reaction score
I don't post here much. ...mostly over on FABO.....
But ABSOLUTELY go with the stroker.....
A 440 is heavier and tighter space to work on....a stroked 360 will blow your mind.

Jeff

hot metal

Reaction score
I would also say a 408 from your 360. Its BB power without the extra expense of another g/box etc. etc. there are many Mopar only builders around, some on this thread who you need to talk to, another reputable builder from what I have seen is "MRL Performance", do a search, this guy knows his stuff and like others and can point you in the right direction and build you exactly what you need at a reasonable cost from your motor.

boydsdodge

Reaction score
Muscle Motors has a great street stroker package.
I'd go small block stroker, have three. After the last build costs up here I'd look into Muscle motors complete build with Dyno break in.

Back