• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

4-Speed Tunnel Hump: Fully Welded or Spot Welded from Factory?

MoparCarGuy

Reaction score
Anyone have photos of their factory 4-Speed tunnel hump welds without sealer?
I am debating tack-welding <EDIT> in a manual hump or using panel-bond adhesive but want to know exactly what the factory did.

Last edited:

larry4406

Reaction score
I took one out of a car years ago. It was spot welded and heavy amount of seam sealer.

I installed it in my car fully welded.

MoparCarGuy

Reaction score
I took one out of a car years ago. It was spot welded and heavy amount of seam sealer.

I installed it in my car fully welded.
Thanks.
EDIT: Factory was tack-welded in about 24 locations around the perimeter and sealed with seam sealer.

Last edited:

ERAT340

Reaction score
Something Ive always wondered, were the automatic and manual floorpans different at first assembly?

larry4406

Reaction score
Thanks, so factory was spot-welded and sealed with seam sealer.
Yes

Leave the portion of the original pan in place that covers the cross member piece.

I put the hump on the automatic floor pan and traced the flange. Offset from the tracing using the width of the flange then made my cuts. I made some plug welds in the piece of the original pan to secure it to the cross member.

Attached are some pictures of my long stalled project.

IMG_1071.JPG
IMG_1072.JPG

IMG_1074.JPG
IMG_1080.JPG
IMG_1096.JPG

MoparCarGuy

Reaction score
Yes

Leave the portion of the original pan in place that covers the cross member piece.

I put the hump on the automatic floor pan and traced the flange. Offset from the tracing using the width of the flange then made my cuts. I made some plug welds in the piece of the original pan to secure it to the cross member.

Attached are some pictures of my long stalled project.

View attachment 119206View attachment 119207
View attachment 119208View attachment 119209View attachment 119210
I saved your pics from a different thread. Thanks!

Deathproofcuda

Reaction score
Anyone have photos of their factory 4-Speed tunnel hump welds without sealer?
I am debating spot welding in a manual hump or using panel-bond adhesive but want to know exactly what the factory did.
Maybe you are using the terms interchangeably, but technically the humps are not "spot welded", they were tack welded in place using a mig welder around the perimeter of the hump.

If you need them, I can probably dig up pics of mine from before I removed it for a floor repair. If I recall correctly, there were about two dozen tacks around the perimeter of the hump. I marked all those locations, tried to duplicate them for the reinstall, and resealed with seam sealer.

Moparbastard

Reaction score
The hole was torch cut. Early cars were tack welded with a stick welder. Later cars were tack welded with a mig welder with some real heavy wire. It was crude and sloppy. I don't fully weld them. I tack just like the factory did. It's thin metal and doesn't need or like all that weld/heat. That's what the seam sealer is for.

Back