• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

5.7 hemi swap HELP NEEDED!!

polishmafia

Reaction score
OK, I am hoping you can help a newb out and maybe save a ton of money, heartache, and frustration!

I have a 73 Cuds with a 440/727 in it. I am looking at puttin a "new" 5.7 Hemi into it. The motor I am looking at has all of the belt driven accy's, original wiring, and ECU from an 08 Challenger that has 8600 miles on it. It also has the factory auto trans (I believe a 545) hooked up to it as well. I'll be using the original k member from the car. I have vacuum boost brakes in the car.

Can I use the existing ECU for the motor? If no, then what? If yes, do I need to get it reprogrammed? How do I make it overlook all of the sensors that won't be hooked up?

Do I need a new wiring harness or can I hook up my exisiting wiring harness right to the motor? Will my wipers, headlights, etc work as long as power gets back to the fuse box?

Is it possible to hook up the new motor/AC/heater lines to my old heater and AC box? What complications will this create?

Does anyone make a transmission mount or crossmember or will I need to fab this?

Can I leave the 4.11s with the new 5 speed auto?

What am I looking at as far as a shifter in the car? Am I going to have to use a cable style shifter like a Lokar?

Here are some things I believe I will need, please let me know if I am missing anything:
Passenger side inlet/outlet radiator
Engine mounts and exhaust headers manifolds - these should be from the same company for clearance considerations
Mid sump oil pan and pickup
Throttle pedal from an 05 dodge pickup - throttle position cable to signal box
45degree oil filter adapter for a Durango (makes the filter miss the K member)

I can get the engine and tranny for 2400. I need to stay about 3000 to 3500 to get it into the car and running. Is this realistic, or am I way off?

Thanks for your insights - I much appreciate it!

71cudajoe

Reaction score
I looked into the new 5.7/6.1 HEMI-swap option for my Cuda a couple years ago but decided to go with a classic-styled crate motor instead. So, I don't have a lot of personal experience on this issue to share. However, during my investigation process, I found this resource to be incredibly helpful:

http://www.thehemi.com/newhemiswap.php

ramenth

Reaction score
Welcome aboard!

I've been watching some of the posts going on over at FABO with guys using the 3G Hemi in their A-bodies. Go on over to forabodiesonly.com (linked at the top of the page here) and do a search for posts from user members Tincup, GDemon, and 5.7 Hemi. These guys are a wealth of information.

polishmafia

Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up - I will spend some serious time digging in and doing some reading at those links.

I know the swap is getting more and more popular but it is amazing how little info there seems to be about it going into the E bodies!

Let me know if anyone else has anything to share!!

ramenth

Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up - I will spend some serious time digging in and doing some reading at those links.

I know the swap is getting more and more popular but it is amazing how little info there seems to be about it going into the E bodies!

Let me know if anyone else has anything to share!!

As you build and discover make sure you put up a restoration thread so you teach the rest of us, too :D

Back