• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

70 440 Rear spring configuration

GregDaro

Reaction score
The service manual calls for 6 on the left, 5 on the right with 2 half leaves forward of the axle. Most of what I have seen spewed for this car is 6 and 6. Mopar performance hdx seem to be 6 on the left and 5 and 1 half on the right.

What should the spring configuration be?

I need to raise my car, snubber hitting and suspension bottoming out. New springs and QA1 shocks. I am going to re-arch the springs but I also want to be sure they are the right configuration. Picture is the passenger side.

IMG_2418.jpeg

Ricks72Chlgr440

Reaction score
The service manual calls for 6 on the left, 5 on the right with 2 half leaves forward of the axle. Most of what I have seen spewed for this car is 6 and 6. Mopar performance hdx seem to be 6 on the left and 5 and 1 half on the right.

What should the spring configuration be?

I need to raise my car, snubber hitting and suspension bottoming out. New springs and QA1 shocks. I am going to re-arch the springs but I also want to be sure they are the right configuration. Picture is the passenger side.
Welcome to the forum! Instead of re-arching the springs, you might want to consider entirely new springs. I just replaced mine with springs from ESPO. I got the HD 440 springs which was an upgrade from the ones on the car. The OE springs I had were rated at 70# and the new ones are at 120/125#. The ride height was not changed so the car still sits like original. Contact Laura at ESPO via their chat feature and let her know what you're looking for. She is great to work with and will take care of you. I also got new shackles when I ordered my springs. The U-bolts were still good so I reused those.

GregDaro

Reaction score
The springs on the car are new and are, according to the part number, HD for the 440 or Hemi but they are 6 leaves on both sides. Trying to find out what came from the factory, the service manual says 6 on the left and 5 plus 2 halves on the right.

Ricks72Chlgr440

Reaction score
The springs on the car are new and are, according to the part number, HD for the 440 or Hemi but they are 6 leaves on both sides. Trying to find out what came from the factory, the service manual says 6 on the left and 5 plus 2 halves on the right.
New springs should not bottom out like you're describing. There is another post in this forum that may provide the answer to what came from the factory:

Rear leaf springs

GregDaro

Reaction score
Another deviation from the service manual. Fist I have seen this 5 and 5 with half on each.

Xcudame

Reaction score
I just run the XHD leaf springs that have the newer Mopar part number. Got them from Summit Racing. Made in Mexico, but the seem to work OK.

Back