• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

8-3/4” Housing Identification

ignition1

Reaction score
Is there any way to tell a date or ID code on the ‘bare’ 8-3/4” housing itself?

I do have the 489 1970 center, but more concerned about the housing.

Thinking of cutting off the ends and shortening it and didn’t want to cut something up that maybe I shouldn’t.

moparlee

Reaction score
There are number stampings on one of the axle tubes. Someone just posted today a picture of one he is working on.

cuda joe

Reaction score
most people get a b body axle housing to narrow the rear

ignition1

Reaction score
I have the e-body housing on hand and I need ends and perches for a Dana 60, I’ll just cut it :)

Just was wondering if maybe I shouldn’t 🤞

Thank you for the replies

ignition1

Reaction score
There are number stampings on one of the axle tubes. Someone just posted today a picture of one he is working on.
I have looked front & back for stampings, but do see anything. Any starting point so I can narrow the search, front or back, left or right would be helpful, thank you in advance

cuda joe

Reaction score
I have one housing not in a car looked all over couldn;t find any date code or part number stamping

ignition1

Reaction score
I have one housing not in a car looked all over couldn;t find any date code or part number stamping
Same here, so I am thinking it was universal per the width/perches (body) vs a particular application of that body.

The Dana 60 has the date on the front & Chevy would have the application code & date stamped on the front, but these are both NOT third member style axles.

My guess is since the 8-3/4” is a third member style like the 9” ford it has to do with the third member which has the date casted in. So if you have the correct third member then you are good.

Surprising that the 8-3/4” housing doesn’t have more info on it since Mopar labeled/stamped the crap out of everything else.

DY31970

Reaction score
Hi, I got an 8 3/4" E-body housing to replace the stock 7 1/4 housing. Location- Left side of carrier Axle code 1968-70. The only markings on my axle housing are on the left side of carrier, 10 8X yellow paint stamping on tube facing the engine just above the spring perch and to the inside of inner u bolt. I got the location from the Dave Wise info book on E-Bodies. The only thing he breaks down are the 3 digit stampings. Would anyone know what the 10 8X (there is a dot between the 0 and 8) date stands for?

pschlosser

Reaction score
I encourage you to start a new post, and not hijack an older one. You deserve all the help you can get, and you deserve your own post on this topic. I am now researching your question, and I will be happy to post my reply into your new thread.

Back