• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Back glass install...

midnitedeputy

Reaction score
Hi folks.... this is my first post.. soooooo..... I just have a question about back glass install. Are the little rivets supposed to be all the way around the entire inner circumference of the of the rear window opening? On my 73 challenger, they are none along the bottom edge at all. I believe these rivets help attach the trim. Could they have broken off when the glass was removed or is there not any along the bottom edge? And if they have broken off, can new ones be ordered and installed? In all the years of wrenching on Mopars, I have never removed front or rear glass, so I'm kinda clueless here. Any help would be appreciated.... is the front windshield the same??........Thanks in advance everyone. !

quapman

Reaction score
Yes, there should be several along the bottom. If the rear deck panel (dutchman) has been replaced, the little nubs/studs for the trim clips won't be there. You can either get screw-in nubs or get the 70 style clips which attach with low profile screws.

midnitedeputy

Reaction score
Yes, there should be several along the bottom. If the rear deck panel (dutchman) has been replaced, the little nubs/studs for the trim clips won't be there. You can either get screw-in nubs or get the 70 style clips which attach with low profile screws.
Thanks... is there a benefit for either style? And how do I know the exact placement of each one?.... maybe I can tell when looking from the underside inside the trunk.... the deck panel is the original.

quapman

Reaction score
The screw-on type are easier to install, but you can't remove them once the glass is in. The little screw-in studs are not easy to screw in and you need to drill holes that are "just the right size". Too small and it's impossible to get started...too big and they strip out.

As far as position, maybe someone here on the forum can measure theirs and give us a heads-up.

mmissile

Reaction score
Careful buying repop hardware. I just did some glass in a Demon, and the guy who owns the car...had repop clips, mldgs, and screws. None were the same as the original stuff. We had to pop-rivet the clips[screw heads were too large], the clips were too stiff[against the body], and the mldgs weren't extruded like the original pieces....making snapping them on, difficult at best.

midnitedeputy

Reaction score
Thank you, I guess body guy was concerned about possibly having to do some tack welding if new studs needed installed that way. He didn't want to do that after paint.... so I think I'm going with the screw on clips, which can easily be installed after paint.

Back