• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

connecting 3 nipple charcoal canister to edelbrock carb

cowdoc

Reaction score
I'm trying to re-establish the charcoal canister to my '73 Challenger, as it was deleted when I bought the car. I have an Edelbrock 1406 carbeurator, the one without the bowl vent. And the 3 nipple canister. I understand the purge line needs to go to ported vacuum. What about the line labeled "carb"? I've read that it can be T'd into the PCV line or connected to the air cleaner somehow. It looks easier maybe to use the PCV line to tie into. There's a lot of posts out there but I'm still confused.

Adam

Reaction score
The charcoal canister is supposed to collect gasoline vapors and route them to be burned, instead of venting to the atmosphere. So I think you would be correct to connect the carb line to the pcv valve. It would be shut while the engine is not running (preventing a gas smell in the garage) and when running the vapors would be drawn into the manifold to be burned.

cowdoc

Reaction score
That seemed logical to me too. Although routing through the air cleaner should accomplish the same thing, right?

Adam

Reaction score
Leo, his carb does not have a bowl vent; Yes, you could run it to the air cleaner, but is would be open to the atmosphere even while not running, I think you would have a constant gasoline smell...

moparleo

Reaction score
Ok (1) It is the manifold vacuum source that is" sucking. "(2) There is a tube to vent to the gas tank. The vacuum source is supposed to suck the fumes from the carb bowl. (3) If there is no vent from the carb float bowl, That tube has nothing to suck on. So where are the fumes coming from since the vacuum source has nothing to suck on?

cowdoc

Reaction score
I had read that the Edelbrock 1406 "self-vents" through the air cleaner. But vapors from the gas tank would still be sucked in, right? And isn't it connected to ported vaccuum?

cowdoc

Reaction score
In that case, just put a rubber cap on the carb port on the canister

Thank you. Yes, I agree that is an option, however, I'm trying to go for the right look. What do you think about ported vs. manifold vacuum?

moparleo

Reaction score
You could also run the line to whatever you want and just put a plug of some type ( golf tee, small bolt etc...) inside the line. That way it looks like it works but it is just a plugged hose.

cowdoc

Reaction score
You could also run the line to whatever you want and just put a plug of some type ( golf tee, small bolt etc...) inside the line. That way it looks like it works but it is just a plugged hose.

There ya go. Good idea!

Back