• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Dome light constant on

Cazbah362

Reaction score
1970 Cuda with no ac and non rallye dash. From the main wiring harness which plugs into the rear part of the vehicle wiring harness, the pink wire has constant power switch on, thus keeping the dome light on - always. on this line, the YELLOW and PINK wire that goes to the dome has a have a BROWN wire which is connected with the PINK wire. (these are near the driver 1/4 glass)

Where does Mr. BROWN wire go?

and how do I get my dome light to work properly?

IMG_0322.JPG

moparlee

Reaction score
On my 71 Challenger non ac, rallye dash it looks a little different. The connector is in the trunk with only a pink and yellow wire. The blue wire you see goes to the fuel gauge sending unit
2 - Oct 12-14 (124).JPG
at the tank.

quapman

Reaction score
Mr. Brown might be for the trunk light. I'll have to look at mine.

Slotts

Reaction score
The dome light bulb always has battery power feeding directly to the dome light socket. It is the ground connection from the driver or passenger door opening or the dash dimmer switch being turned fully counter clockwise that will create a ground path for the dome light to come on.

It could be a faulty door jam switch or the dash dimmer switch is in the fully clockwise position due to corrosion and that is the only setting that enables the dash lights to work. To trouble shoot this, I would first turn the dash dimmer switch clockwise to see if the dome light goes off. If it stays on, remove both kick panels and unplug the door jam switches. If the dome light is still on, (and I know this is a PITA), crawl under the dash and disconnect the connector plugging into the dash dimmer switch. If the dome light after the door switches and dash dimmer switch are all disconnected, I would say the yellow wire insulation jacket has been compromised and the copper could be touching steel creating the ground point.

The second picture posted is a typical rear wiring connection for the dome light. The first picture shows the insertion of the wiring with the brown wire to power the trunk light.

Hope that helps.

Jim

Hey Steve, hanging out over here now? ;)

quapman

Reaction score
Hey Steve, hanging out over here now? ;)

Yes sir...I made the mistake of entering the "current events" section over "there". Really opened my eyes to who I was interacting with.

Slotts

Reaction score
Yes sir...I made the mistake of entering the "current events" section over "there". Really opened my eyes to who I was interacting with.

I hear ya! I thought you either moved over here or Sheriff Joe Higgins caught you racing that brown T/A and had you doing a nickel in the big house. :eek: :oops: :rolleyes:

Cazbah362

Reaction score
Gentlemen, thank you. I did try the left to right on the knob (lots of those in life - knobs that is), with no success. But you brought to my attention the door jam switches - I have my drives side hooked up and working, but not the passenger side. I would say this is the culprit. I will order, install and get back with you.

As for Mr. Brown - I believe my fuel sending is set up, but I will double check - But if the power was intermittent wouldn't it suggest it is some sort of light source like the dome?

Back