• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

High compression motor question

tony72

Reaction score
I am helping a freind out with a motor. It is a 383 chevy stroker motor sorry he doesn't know what a real motor is but any way it's a 12-1 motor with a 555 lift cam 220 cc intake 72 cc combustion chamber alum. Heads victor jr single plane intake 800 cfm eldy carb problem we are having is it seems to be sucking the fuel right out of the carb making it run really rich. It wont even idle. Is there something you have to change on the carb to stop this on high compression motors any advice would really help sorry again about it being a chevy motor don't have this problem with my 440 thanks guys

moparleo

Reaction score
Has the engine ever run properly ? If so, what has been changed recently to cause the problem ? Back to basics , set timing to tdc, check all vacuum lines, tap top of carb with a small brass hammer to check if a needle valve is stuck open. do not start without air cleaner installed, in case of fire.

tony72

Reaction score
not sure if it ever ran right heads were too small for pistons and cam so they where changed out for better flowing heads. checked the basics 20 times it seems like a carb problem

mattsinger

Reaction score
could be float settnigs, needle and seat or too much fuel pressure from pump.
what is he using for a fuel pump? any regulator pr pressure gage?

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
do we know what duration the cam is , lift is pretty much unimportant
you may have to drill holes in he throttle plates to get the throttle closed enough for the idle circuit to work .
The big issue is Eddy carb are virtually untunable for this , I would start with restricting the idle bleeds which are impossible to modify on eddy carbs , the second thing would be the power valve , eddy doesn't have these either so you have to find a spring light enough to keep the rods down at idle , Holley has a 1" power valve eddy has maybe 4 or 5 " springs at best .
I would really look at using a Proform race series carb , everything is tunable on them , if it fits the budget .

tony72

Reaction score
Using an electric fuel pump regulated to 6.5 psi i heard these carbs didn't have enough adjustments on them so i was guessing the carb wasn't going to work for it thanks for the advise

390racer

Reaction score
I have been where you are. Get rid of the edelbrock carb, call up Pro-Systems give Patrick the correct specs and the thing will run perfect.

Back