• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

LED Upgrade Question

mitchelless

Reaction score
Hello All,

Looking to replace all of my bulbs on my '70 Challenger with LED's and not able to find much info on the topic wrt the recommended LED as well as what exactly is needed in terms of any wiring changes. I am hoping there is a brand of LED replacement bulb that has added in line resistance if that is what is needed as opposed to having to splice a resistor into the actual ground wire for each bulb. Anyway, wanted to ask the experts and get some direction on this effort before I drop the $$ on the replacement bulbs. Thanks in advance for any insight!

AUSTA

Reaction score
I have tried a few different brands mainly Chinese (Stop / Tail) they seem last around 3 weeks then die individual lights on the tower go out 1 at a time.
It seems they may not like over voltage i am charging at 14.2 Volts
Ended up going back to filament globes
Further to this if you are looking go for constant current LED which work from 12 to 24 vdc preferably with cree brand leds
The cheaper units are made to work at 12 VDC & are over driven in order to make them appear brighter ,when they are connected to a higher voltage the leds fail due to overcurrent & a lack of cooling.

Last edited:

Dodgeboy

Reaction score
https://www.carid.com/1970-dodge-challenger-led-tail-lights/
These guys have complete led light sets. I've never tried them thou, i just made my own. I have used led light bulbs which i bought from a trailer/farm supply store without any issues. The only upgrade you need to do is replace the 2 prong flasher fuse with either a 3 prong (3rd prong is body ground) or a specialty 2 prong + ground wire fuse. I've also had luck with the asian led bulbs off of ebay.

bc3j

Reaction score
I have put LED's in the dash, side markers, license plate and tail lights. I left the front parking lights incandescent and don't need to change the flasher. I have a stock electrical system and I greatly reduced the current draw with the above changes. Tail lights are Sylvania Zevo and the rest came from superbright LEDs. I'm satisfied with changes I made.

Back