• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

LOC-TITE = PAINT STRIPPER WARNING

hofilbert

Reaction score
If you didn't know it, LOC-TITE is a paint stripper! I just spent all weekend sandblasting my front license plate brkt. and road lamp brackets, then primering them, and finally a nice paint job. I let them dry for 2 days and even baked them in the sun a while. I bought all new license plate hardware, bumpers, plate screw mounts, and even the P-nut metal mounting tab nuts. I have an elastomeric bumper in front so I didn't want to tighten the bracket screws through the bumper too much so I added some BLUE Loc-tite to the flange nuts and also the freshly painted orange bumper screws. I started turning the screws and they felt sticky on the head and orange was coming off onto my hand. I also noticed some Loc-tite dripped down along the side of the plate bracket. When I went to wipe off the excess loc-tite my black paint came with it! That paint had 2 days of dry time plus some sun baking. My paint on the bracket was ruined!

I've done a lot of painting and have used a lot of strippers and thinners, etc., but I never dreamed Loc-tite would take my paint off. So, BE WARNED, Loc-tite is a paint stripper. (so is brake fluid and pine-sol)

Back