• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Looking For A New Intake For My Shaker Challenger

DaveH

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I'm looking for a new aluminum intake for my shaker 1970 Challenger. As some of you may have seen it's been painted the new Plum Crazy and looks great. I've converted it from the original flat hood to a shaker. I'm running a mildly modified 340. It's my understanding that the 340 sits a little lower in the engine bay than the 440? I'm using a new Edelbrock Thunder series carb.

Edelbrock Thunder Series AVS Carburetors 1806

I'm looking for an intake that will fit under the shaker and not be too tall. I know a lot of you say use an original intake but I don't want to do that it's heavier and I would just like a new one. Below is what I'm looking to get does anyone have any experience and know if these intakes will fit correctly? Lower is obviously better since I can use spacers. Just looking for the right purchase the first time. Thanks for all of your advise

Edelbrock Performer
Edelbrock Performer Intake Manifolds 2176

Ebelbrock Performer RPM
Edelbrock Performer RPM Intake Manifolds 7176

Edelbrock Performer RPM Airgap
Edelbrock Performer RPM Air-Gap Intake Manifolds 7576

76orangewagon

Reaction score
I am currently running an Edelbrock LD340 on my Cuda and feel it shaker sits a little low, buy which one you like and add a carb spacer or Air Cleaner spacer if needed.
AA14.jpg

DaveH

Reaction score
Thanks Ross. Great looking car. I currently have an LD340 but the center is cut out making it a single plan intake. I wasn't certain that would work on my mildly build 340. Not sure what impact that would have on the performance. If anyone knows please let me know.

I think I have it narrowed down to these two. Yes I want powder coated black. I've measured my LD340 and on average overall it's about 5-1/4" tall. Each corner was slightly different with the straight edge. I'm thinking of the RPM Airgap because It's slightly taller and you said you still have room with the LD340

I have a new 650 Edelbrock Thunder series carb and if I get the Performer Intake I would have to get the adapter below to fit the carb.

How much of a gap do you think there is with the LD340 on the Cuda?

Does anyone know the height of the original carbs that came with a small block or can they measure for me? Thanks

Man this is such a challenge.

upload_2017-1-19_13-44-18.png

upload_2017-1-19_13-46-21.png

upload_2017-1-19_14-4-54.png

upload_2017-1-19_13-43-28.png

DaveH

Reaction score
Thanks Ross. Great looking car. I have an LD340 currently but the center is cut out making it a single plan intake. I wasn't certain that would work on my mildly build 340. What impact that would have on the performance.

I think I have it narrowed down to these two. Yes I want powder coated. I've measured my LD340 and on average overall it's about 5-1/4" tall. Each corner was slightly different with the straight edge.

View attachment 34856

View attachment 34857

Steve340

Reaction score
I tried to space up the shaker with a 10 mm spacer and it fouled the bonnet when the engine moved around.
My engine has a Mopar dual plane manifold made of aluminium. It has a 1/4 inch heat block between the carb and manifold also.
However it appears very similar to the cast iron manifold picture posted earlier. It is not a high rise.
The motor revs hard to 6000 rpm.
If your motor is mild go for the Performer 0 to 5500 rpm.
I am thinking the RPM will be to high.
As mentioned in an earlier post you can go up pretty easily not so of you are to high.

quapman

Reaction score
The Thunder carb is an AVS which is what would have come on the car originally, if I'm not mistaken.

Back