• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Soon to a new 'Cuda owner----again

MoparcudaRay

Reaction score
Hi everyone, my name is Ray. I have owned 1965 383 Dodge Coronet 500 then went into a brand new 1972 340 'Cuda back in the day. Have been a Mopar man for decades but got trapped into the Import scene with my 3000GT VR-4 lol
I have always wondered what happened to my 'Cuda and tried to trace it as far as I could legally. The license plate number showed it in the Riverside area of California.
At-any-rate protective laws make it understandably impossible to find your old cars to buy them back.
So I now plan to buy another 70's 'Cuda within the next month making it "mandatory" to join this fantastic forum.

MoparcudaRay

Reaction score
Well exciting news for me! I finally got my Cuda about two weeks ago. 1971 360 A518 trans 3:91 sure grip. Very happy with it but have a ton of questions for you guys. Trying to find a radiator place that actually takes the top off aluminum radiators rods them out and then tig welds the top back on correctly. So far all the radiator shops I've contacted either only do that with copper brass or suggest I buy a new aluminum one. Anyway here are a few pics
new mopar 1971 004.JPG
new mopar 1971 005.JPG
new mopar 1971 013.JPG
new mopar 1971 014.JPG
new mopar 1971 015.JPG
new mopar 1971 029.JPG

new mopar 1971 030.JPG

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Very nice! It might be cheaper to just buy a new radiator, what makes you think that needs work?

MoparcudaRay

Reaction score
Very nice! It might be cheaper to just buy a new radiator, what makes you think that needs work?

Thanks, yes it seems will be easier to just buy a new. The reason I think it is the radiator because it has very slight light brown gup and some light rusted metal parts in some tubes when looking at it from the radiator cap opening. Everything else in the cooling system is new. The engine is new (only about 200 miles on it) and it runs hot especially at idle. I did run it for a few days with this radiator and it ran just above normal (210-220) but at idle it would go to 230-240. I heard that new engines on "break-in oil" run hotter until after a thousand miles and replacing with regular oil??

71RT383

Reaction score
I want to Welcome you to FEBO and congratulations on executing your plan and procuring a nice ride! Regarding the running temp, breaking in a fresh motor very well may run somewhat hotter than a seasoned motor. There could be other factors; ie: possible machining/assembly tolerances, friction as well, and so on. Check the thermostadt (maybe not opening fully- restricting flow) - or replace. No obstructions in the upper/lower hose? Although you said " everything else in the cooling system is new" , Unfortunately now a days, New does not mean - works properly . May not hurt to flush the system also.
Is it a clutch fan ? (clutch unit slippage ?)
Another member may weigh in and have more info than I was able to offer.
Congrats again and keep us posted with your progress .

MoparcudaRay

Reaction score
I want to Welcome you to FEBO and congratulations on executing your plan and procuring a nice ride! Regarding the running temp, breaking in a fresh motor very well may run somewhat hotter than a seasoned motor. There could be other factors; ie: possible machining/assembly tolerances, friction as well, and so on. Check the thermostadt (maybe not opening fully- restricting flow) - or replace. No obstructions in the upper/lower hose? Although you said " everything else in the cooling system is new" , Unfortunately now a days, New does not mean - works properly . May not hurt to flush the system also.
Is it a clutch fan ? (clutch unit slippage ?)
Another member may weigh in and have more info than I was able to offer.
Congrats again and keep us posted with your progress .

Thanks, I put in a new thermostat in that it did not have one in it. Probably removed by the shop trying to deal with the overheating lol
I replaced both the upper and lower radiator hoses with stainless steel ones so no bellowing or collapsing issues.
It was not a clutch fan set up it had an aluminum direct mechanical fan which I have removed in anticipation of putting electric fans instead with the new radiator install.So will be selling the fan and the Chrome 5"shroud that came with it.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
I think the best way to set up your cooling system properly is to refer right back to the way it left the factory. They had no issues then because they were engineered so well. Fan shrouds, proper thermostat, clutch fan, hood to cowl seal, etc..

Back