• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

steering noise

74 challenger

Reaction score
ok on my 74 challenger when i turn the steering wheel it makes a scraping noise.:icon_scratch:The noise is the coloum.Any clue what it might be?Pulled it apart to replace the bearing housing because it was damage,didnt find any broken pieces inside.Bearing was ok on housing.I did not take the key housing piece off. thanks Dave

burntorange70

Reaction score
There is two bearings. Did you take a look at the one under the wheel lock too?

a.JPG

74 challenger

Reaction score
no,i was worried about having to remove the lock housing,should the shaft have no play at this point?meaning not being able to move it side to side more then a 1/2 inch if there is play how much?

burntorange70

Reaction score
Should not be any play once you put it back to gether. There may be some now because there is nothing suporting it up top now.

And sorry, there is not two bearings up there. Don't know what I was thinking. There is a nother one but it is on the other end of the shaft down buy the fire wall side.

74 challenger

Reaction score
burntorange 70 thank you didnt want to put it back together without knowing.First time pulling it apart.

Back