• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

stock brake rebuild on 70 challenger w factory disc brakes

340challconvert

Reaction score
Starting to rebuild the front brakes on my A66 challenger.
Car has been sitting since 1984.
Purchased Centric brake calipers and will clean up the factory 2 piece rotors.
Also looking at Centric brake master cylinder. These are rebuild units. I heard I should stay away from Duralast at Autozone due to quality issues.
Anyone use the Centric parts on a rebuild?
I will keep the original parts for a future rebuild and just want to get the brakes working for now.
Feed back appreciated.

Dino2 (1).gif

js29

Reaction score
I have always used Wagner brake part's. I never had much luck with A rebuilt master cylinder, I like new units myself.

340challconvert

Reaction score
Leo, Took your advice , picked up a new Raybestos brake master. The Centric masters were all rebuilds. If my original 2 piece rotors prove to b uncutable, Raybestos also makes the hub-rotor units @ 130 per. Would like to use my originals if possible.

Last edited:

challenger6pak

Reaction score
I have stored the original 2 piece rotors from my 6 pack cars. There are no reproduction 2 piece rotors that I know of.

340challconvert

Reaction score
Brake Rotor Choice for stock 70 disc brake Challenger

I was looking at the Raybestos replacement rotors.

Part Number: 7008R, not original style but should fit w/o any changes to the stock 1970 disc brake spindle.

Does anyone know what brand Jim's Auto parts sells (BR-1283) for 170.00 each? Listed as American made.

Appreciate feedback, been away from working on cars for awhile and it seems tougher to get quality stock parts.

Dino2 (1).gif

Last edited:

Adam

Reaction score
Does anyone know what brand Jim's Auto parts sells (BR-1283) for 170.00 each? Listed as American made.

Good question. Im sures Jim's AP does not have them made, and anything he sells is usually way over priced.

challenger6pak

Reaction score
Most likely the same rotors that are sold at most auto stores.

340challconvert

Reaction score
Brake Rotor Choice for stock 70 disc brake Challenger

Looked up the Centric brake rotors, purchased them at $72 each. I will install and keep original 2 piece originals in storage. Tks Leo

Dino2 (1).gif

Last edited:

340challconvert

Reaction score
new centric rotors

Just received the Centric Rotors. Everything matches the 1970 specs. They also have nice reinforcing ribs on the inner hub. Pics of the brakes before teardown. Sitting for a long time!

left disc brake and frame.jpg

left front disc brake.jpg

left upper control arm.jpg

Last edited:

340challconvert

Reaction score
Brake parts install Washer needed w new brake lines into caliper?

Rebuilding the brakes and front end.
So far: Centric brake rotors w new Centric calipers. Happy w the rotors, fits the smaller 70 style spindle w new Timken bearings (no fitment problems)

Purchased new upper control arms with ball joint and bearings (Goodmark-looked like same quality as originals) Nice easy install new control arm bolts/nuts.
New brake caliper hoses Raybestos BH35017 with the nice plated ends.

Question: installing the new brake lines on the caliper end; Is there a brass washer that should go into the caliper at the install? NO washer came w the lines.

Dino2 (1).gif

340challconvert

Reaction score
MoparLeo You were correct regarding the quality of the Centric Parts. It was a good recommendation.

Does anyone know what the difference is between the Inline tube full brake line set w disc brakes with 1 piece front to rear vs 2 piece front to rear? What is the difference?

Feedback appreciated

Last edited:

js29

Reaction score
Copper 2 of them, one on the top of the banjo bolt and one on the caliper side. should have been in with the caliper, check the box. some times the little bag they are in will slide behind the flaps in the box. if you look closely the washers are probably froze to ether the fitting on the hose or to the caliper on one end anr the bolt on the other.

AUSTA

Reaction score
I just replace all my lines with stainless inline set you need to tighten the lines a bit more than normal to seat the stainless flares as every connection leaked .
2 piece set is for vehicles with a rear brake delay valve about 2 foot from the proportioning valve roughly under where the door hinge and is bolted to the inner rocker panel helps prevent rear brake lockup

Back