• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Trying to determine who built my Hemi

Hemi Steve

Reaction score
Hi all
I'm new to this board. Last fall I got a 73 Barracuda with a 528 Hemi crate motor. I'm trying to determine who built this motor. I believe the engine was built prior to 2010. Being a 528 the block is obviously not an original early one. The block does not have the freeze plugs on the front so as I understand it , it is not a World block either. I think that means it is a Mopar Performance Mega-Block. I am unable to get under the car to look at the casting number at this time. I do however have the numbers stamped on the front drivers side pad. Here's how it reads:

As viewed from the front "528" is stamped there right side up. Stamped upside down is "6169 XPT". That part is barely readable as if the block was lightly machined prior to assembly. The 528 stamp looks like it was done after the surface was machined.
The heads are aluminum with the Mopar logo on the front of the casting. It has a cross ram intake and the valve covers are the cast aluminum ones that say "Mopar Performance" not the usual "Mopar Hemi". All of this would seem to indicate its a Mopar Performance crate motor maybe 2008/9 vintage but maybe not. I would think that if it is a Mopar Performance engine the stamped numbers would at least be right side up when viewed from the front....or not.

Anyhow, anyone have any idea what the 6169 XPT might mean or who might have used a number scheme like that?

Thanks

Steve

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Welcome to the site fellow Michigander! I can't answer your question but I wouldn't mind seeing some more pics of your car.

Hemi Steve

Reaction score
DetMatt1:

I dropped a couple of pictures in the Photos garage plus I put up a post in the new members section with a few details.

Steve

73DAD

Reaction score
Here's the little bit I know:
New mega blocks' castings are bulged out on the sides to enlarge the water jackets to accommodate the beefy siamese bores (good for a claimed 4.6"!) I have one brand new casting and one a couple years old and they both have freeze plugs up front.

On both of my versions the driver's side front oil drain in the deck has been rerouted into the timing chain area (and looks ugly) most likely to clear the aforementioned enlarged water jackets. It sounds like yours is probably routed like the stock style straight into the crankcase. If your engine is truly a 528, sounds like your block is the best of both versions: stock appearing and big bore block.

Back