• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Vinyl roof help needed

garp

Reaction score
So today I caught glimpse of a bubble under the paintwork just along the chrome beading bottom of the rear window on my 74 Challenger.
Went to inspect closer and ran my fingers along the vinyl and it sounds like a Chocolate wrapper !!!!! Not happy.
I know there is replacement deck filler panel for here but will I have to strip the entire roof off or can I peel it back, remove the rear window and reattach.
If it is a full roof removal, does anyone know where I can get measurements for a vinyl top - if I'm going to replace it, I'm going black snakeskin !

Thanks all
icon_razz.gif

Adam

Reaction score
Carefully peel it back and see how bad it is. You cannot hurt it because it must come off to fix the rust & probably needs to be replaced. I would bet the bottom window corners are shot, into the 1/4s. That is where dirt and moisture accumulate, under the trim. If you are able to successfully peel the vinyl back you do not need to remove the whole roof to replace the Dutchman / filler panel. There are spot welds along the bottom, some in the trunk gutter corners, and 3-4 on the sides below the seam sealer where the panel meets the quarters. Here are some related photos #68 to 82 in my album. Challenger

Last edited:

garp

Reaction score
Carefully peel it back and see how bad it is. You cannot hurt it because it must come off to fix the rust & probably needs to be replaced. I would bet the bottom window corners are shot, into the 1/4s. That is where dirt and moisture accumulate, under the trim. If you are able to successfully peel the vinyl back you do not need to remove the whole roof to replace the Dutchman / filler panel. There are spot welds along the bottom, some in the trunk gutter corners, and 3-4 on the sides below the seam sealer where the panel meets the quarters. Here are some related photos #68 to 82 in my album. Challenger
Adam,
Thanks for the reply - it would certainly be easier all round if I could just peel it back, but I guess I will know when I start.
Thanks for the link to your Challenger blog-thingy, I will be taking a good look through it and guess it's going to offer me just the advice I need.
Sadly, in the UK, not only are Challengers a rarity, so are parts and good advice, once again thanks.
Will be tackling it this winter.
Can I just ask, I've got those clumsy old air shocks still - what do you suggest replacing them with in rider to stiffen the ride ? Can I get coil overs for a '74 ?
Thanks
Garp

Adam

Reaction score
I would not use coil overs; the upper shock mount is not very heavy duty and may crack. Let the springs support the car. I would get new leaf springs, or perhaps have your old ones re-arched; maybe add a leaf, etc.

Back