• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

What width/thickness of butyl tape for the windshield?

jsand

Reaction score
Getting ready to order butyl tape for my windshield install. Does anyone know which size to use? 1/4, 5/16, and 3/8 is available through Year One.

Adam

Reaction score
Generic answer for others who may read this: If you have replacement glass you need to carefully measure, or mock up the glass and trim with spacers to find the distance. Some newer glass is thinner and lighter than the original. Obviously if you set the glass too low the trim will be loose, too high and you will not be able to get the trim on. And don’t forget to put the trim clips in before the glass installation.

It certainly is not 1/4 inch; my old brain says 3/8ths. And warm it up in the sun for awhile.

And I believe you can buy this at Napa and not pay Year One’s inflated shipping cost.

Rapidfire

Reaction score
Use 5/16 butyl if you are using original glass or the same thickness. Be sure to us some Pinchweld primer for Butyl tape for best results.

70DodgeR/T

Reaction score
1/4” or 5/16” will work. If they offer round or square go with the round.
Definitely sticks a lot better if you use butyl primer. Would also use a sealant around outside of butyl. If using silicone, has to be a neutral cure ( not an acidic cure ) so you don’t promote rust.

Chally

Reaction score
I haven't used AMD glass personally but heard it was good quality and the same thickness as original.
I recently installed AMD front and rear glass with 5/16” butyl and the trim fit well. I tested for leaks afterwards by blowing compressed air from the inside and spraying soapy water on the outside. Found a few small leaks where I had to squeeze more butyl in to stop the leaks. I recall that the back glass seemed a bit short height wise so I had to put the butyl at the bottom edge of the of the top channel to ensure it sealed, so test fit where possible and have rubber shims ready to keep the glass from dropping.

Rapidfire

Reaction score
I used PGW glass for the windshield. It fit really good. It's a little thinner than the original glass so I used 3/8 round Buytl to get my trim to fit correctly.

440WB

Reaction score
Use 5/16 butyl if you are using original glass or the same thickness. Be sure to us some Pinchweld primer for Butyl tape for best results.
5/16" butyl - flat both top/bottom ( shown in pic's )
rounded on sides.
Not round type ( for the round will smash down too thin = 1/4" )
I would mock up glass with all clips in place using dry rubber spacers tacked on - to then snap chrome window trim in place checking for fitment. Some places you may have to add a Stretched piece of 1/4" to thin it with a hair blow dryer for certain areas.
I do Not use caulk sealants due to future removal is messy/difficult. ( another story with that... )

thumbnail_IMG_6838.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_6839.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_6840.jpg

440WB

Reaction score
5/16" butyl - flat both top/bottom ( shown in pic's )
rounded on sides.
Not round type ( for the round will smash down too thin = 1/4" )
I would mock up glass with all clips in place using dry rubber spacers tacked on - to then snap chrome window trim in place checking for fitment. Some places you may have to add a Stretched piece of 1/4" to thin it with a hair blow dryer for certain areas.
I do Not use caulk sealants due to future removal is messy/difficult. ( another story with that... )

View attachment 121281

View attachment 121282

View attachment 121283
Another thing to mention is how new is the rubber. One time I ordered from an Auto parts store, they found it in the back. Was not sticky - looking at the label it was couple years old.
A new roll will be sticky to the touch.

Back