• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

1970 challenger interior options

PinkEbody1970

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have a 1970 Challenger Slant six car, does anyone know what interior seat upholstery was available for 1970 Challengers ?? The seats in my car are not the traditional ribbed style. I don't know if its a six cylinder only thing or base model thing ?? Any ideas ?? Thanks for your input. Anyone reproducing this style ?? Almost a basket weave type thing ?? The car also has non-roll down rear windows, Maybe a deputy model ??

Last edited:

aussiemark

Reaction score
Photos would be helpful, Deputy has fixed rear windows with plugs in the holes where the winder goes. I think the 1971 Deputy has Barracuda seat trim not sure about the 1970. The 1970 Challenger seat trim is the same on slant six and all other cars except SE trim and the optional fabric (salt and pepper) inserts, so a slant six with standard vinyl trim will have the same seats as a R/T Hemi with standard vinyl trim.

340challconvert

Reaction score
Here is a start;
The 1970 Hamtramck Registry - 1970 Dodge Color & Trim Book - Challenger

The seats were black or white standard Barracuda seats in the 70 Deputy Challenger. (A93) It was considered a coupe interior.
In 1971, blue, green, and tan were also available.

barracuda standard interior.jpg

Last edited:

PinkEbody1970

Reaction score
I've had the car for for over 30 years, It's very rare possibly the only FM3 slant six car produced ?? Galen published an article in one of the Mopar rags Saying " Does anyone know where the 1 each 1970 Panther Pink Challenger, and 1970 pink Barracuda are ? I know the quantity of Pink cars was very low, and exact records were not kept. My car was sold in Nebraska, I have talked with the original owner and got the background on the car. The car was purchased for a doctors daughter, when she went to college, the car was given to her younger brother. I think this was in the late 70's... the brother refused to be seen in a pink car and it was painted dark Metallic Green. I repainted the car back to FM3 in the 80's. Fast forward to the early 2000's, I was going through a Micky D's drive-thru and low and behold the "daughter" was working the drive-thru window and recognized the car !!
The car when purchase in 1985 was still wearing the Green paint and it was peeling off and you could see the FM3 peeking through. The slanty had a fist size hole in the side of the block. Un fortunatly not knowing the rarity of the car I scrapped the block shortly after. I have had a slant six in the car, but put a 383 and V-8 K frame W/disc brakes and sway bar in it. I also put a 8 3/4 in it. I still have the original K frame and 7 1/4 from the car. One other truly weird option, was it had a dealer add-on A/C unit installed. Black vinyl top, non roll down rear windows and the interior that was mentioned above. The car has been in storage for the last 10 years. Needs to be restored again, Should I go Original ????

FLY'NFISH

Reaction score
It would be awesome to see it go back to the original color combination including interior style since so few cars were pink. The current drivetrain combination seems great for that car but its obviously up to the individual to be happy.

340challconvert

Reaction score
I always lean toward original, especially when the car has a rare combination of options.
Panther Pink is a rare color on a Challenger. It has been estimated that only 0.6% of all non- RT Challengers were FM3 cars. 279 total or less.
There were a total of only 4344 Deputy Challengers produced in 1970. Of that number 1864 were 198 slant 6's and 1215 were 225 slant 6's.
Either way, the combined Deputy designation and rare color makes your car worth putting together in stock condition.
JMO

Good luck with what you decide to do!

Dino2 (1).gif

PinkEbody1970

Reaction score
The fender tag went missing in the 80's, never to return..... I don't know about a build sheet I will have to check under the seat, is there any other way to know if the car was a 198 or a 225 ??? It is of course a "C" code car. I think it also had 14's with "Challenger" wheel covers. My dealer add-on air is in pretty rough shape and the compressor was long gone by the time I got the car. Does anyone know what compressor was used for the dealer add-on. I remember seeing other 70 Darts and Dusters with Add-on air and it was a different style compressor. What are the chances of finding the under dash unit nowadays ?? Does anyone have pictures of the Ebody under dash unit ???

challenger6pak

Reaction score
A lot of dealer added air conditioning units used the Ford style compressor. I would start fresh and go with Vintage Air unit.

aussiemark

Reaction score
I think he is trying to replicate the dealer installed unit that was fitted when it was new but I agree the modern systems by Vintage Air and Classic Auto Air would be a lot more efficient.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
I got a tinted one from Roseville Moparts and I’ll assume they got it from amd, got a small stone chip on the first or second drive after...:BangHead:

Back