• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

A trip down memory lane, and a Chilton's mistake

DrEamer

Reaction score
Today I was going through some of my dads things in his shop, as he recently was given less then a year to live. I came across the old Chilton's manual that I use to use when I was 19 with my first Challenger. It was also the manual that I first looked to identify what a Challenger actually was after seeing one a car cover in junior high. As I poured through the manual, I found the the page with the drawings to identify what year of Challenger you had. I had forgotten that they had misidentified the 1971 Challenger with a front nose drawing of a 1970. The manual covers 1971 to 1978, so I'm not sure why the drawing is messed up. That said, I figured it back in the day even as an 7th or 8th grader. To this day I remember seeing that first Challenger under the car cover outside as I walked home from school. It started a love for Challengers that I still have today.

20190120_181719.jpg

20190120_182021.jpg

340challconvert

Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your dad. He's in my prayers.
Chitons were alway very generic with their info. Hard to mistake a 70/71 front end on a Challenger!

DetMatt1

Reaction score
I forgot completely about those pages, thanks for the trip down memory lane and I too am sorry to hear about your dad’s health. Thoughts and prayers from the Motor City.

rbbruno3

Reaction score
5482E6C7-63DE-4A4A-8906-226C41BCFFE5.png
0625DFBA-ADFE-4988-B2C5-D18FA1739B8B.jpeg
Yes Dr sorry about your dad. My Curiosity got the best of me I had to go check. This was my dad‘s book from 1972 that has a lot of greasy pages LOL. I guess they never got the front end right for a 71.

budascuda

Reaction score
Sometimes kids see their parents once a year,
You can make next year count as 365 years...
As for the Chiltons'.... Now I have to check mine!

moparcop

Reaction score
I lost me dad last April, he taught me a lot about wrenching on cars and that old Chilton manual brought back a lot of great memories. Good luck to you in what will be a very tough year.

DrEamer

Reaction score
Thanks to all that took the time to send thoughts /prayer for my dad. Right now he is actually improving enough that we are wondering if he was given the wrong prognosis. That said, I have been spending as much time with him as possible at this point. He asked if I would finish my car in his shop, somehow I think he wants to see as much of it done as he can. I fear I will not finish it in time unless by some miracle a lot of cash falls in my lap. I will however be using many of the same tools we used together on many of my car projects over the years. Somehow having his tools doing part of the work will make this car a little more special to me.

340challconvert

Reaction score
Your father will get great joy watching you work on the car in his shop and you being able to spend precious time with him! It's a win-win.

My dad wasn't very mechanical, but I still have his beat up, old wooden handle hammer that I keep as a reminder of him. It was used to build a tree house way back when.

I have modern fiberglass handle hammers, but I use the old one on occasion; sort of like "comfort food".
Enjoy your time with him; time is fleeting!

rbbruno3

Reaction score
Motors is what the pros used us shade tree mechanics used Chiltons . Guess that’s why they got it right LOL

340challconvert

Reaction score
The Motor Time and Parts Books were great. It listed part numbers and billable time/labor rates for specific repairs or parts replacement along w the grill pics for identification of vehicles.
A remnant from my early life as an Esso Station mechanic and gas jockey.
We used some Chiltons Books too.

wedg2go

Reaction score
Sincere prayers and positive thoughts to you, DrEamer, your dad and your family. It never easy to accept and more so if you're close to your dad. I've personally have known this since March of last year, but allow my belief to overcome it.

As far as Chilton's

20190128_101523-567x1008[1].jpg

20190128_101649-567x1008[1].jpg

If I remember correctly, I purchased mine when I was in the final semester of eighth grade. I started driving when I graduated Jr. High (13 years young) between the creosote bushes of AZ. Yeah! My dad taught me. Bless his heart for putting up with me and sideswiping that car the first time, or two, we went out to practice my driving skills (We pretended desert veg were cars and peds)!

High school found me reading this book every other day and tinkering on most anything and everything. Fords, Chevies, Mopars...Even the neighbor's Rambler! Yikes! Needless to say, I didn't care too much for racing decals on my rides, so I plastered them on my books. Good days...Good days!

Keep those good days and thought, DrEamer!

budascuda

Reaction score
Wedge2go,
My thoughts, best wishes and prayers!

Sounds like you and your dad had an early start on having fun...

Kern Dog

Reaction score
Losing a parent is a heartbreaker. For me it was like losing the Captain of the ship...NOW it was up to ME to choose the right path with only memories of his example to show the way.
My Dad was a new car salesman. He wasn't brand specific, he sold whatever was selling well. He did work at a Dodge dealer and a Chrysler Plymouth dealer in the early 70s.

DrEamer

Reaction score
Losing a parent is a heartbreaker. For me it was like losing the Captain of the ship...NOW it was up to ME to choose the right path with only memories of his example to show the way.
My Dad was a new car salesman. He wasn't brand specific, he sold whatever was selling well. He did work at a Dodge dealer and a Chrysler Plymouth dealer in the early 70s.

I'm going through the changing of the Captain thing now. As I watch him slip away, I have had to step up and take care of their house. He built it himself, and is the only one who knows all the little things that he did. We have been going over all the little details. It is a daunting task, but it has also again, reminded me of the knowledge and wisdom that is resides in that head of his. Every morning and evening, I go over to his house, and get him out of his bed, and put him into his chair. I feel him getting weaker. Today when I was lifting him, his head rested against mine, much as I imagine mine did when he carried me around when I was tired as a child. Yesterday was his 78th birthday. We celebrated by having his favorite angle food cake, with homemade ice cream. His only other request was to get out the old 8mm projector, and watch the films with me and my sister when we were young. I have not seen those films in well over 30 years. My dad would tell us what was coming up next as we watched yesterday. I'm glad that those memories seemed to make him happy for just a little bit. I think maybe it was a reminder to him that his effort to rise us turned out all right. I may have not understood it as I was growing up, but as a father now myself, I most certainly get it.

Last edited:

DrEamer

Reaction score
I just wanted to thank everyone who took the time to send thoughts/prayers to a complete stranger. My intent was never to make anyone sad. That said, my dad passed away last night. It still needs to sink in, but knowing it was going to happen, and getting our goodbyes and things that needed to be said done early helped. My sister and I are closer now, even though it means I will have to work on her Chevy, but that is kind of my fault since I did find it for her. Today I did once again spent some time in his shop. It was somewhat therapeutic to me. As I was going through things I found a broken piece of PVC pipe that he had taken from my house. It reminded me of what a pack rat he was. I actually laughed out loud when I realized what it was. I'm sure if there is a heaven, he enjoyed my laughter.

moparlee

Reaction score
My thoughts and prayers for you and your family. I know about those memories, you are always going to have them and that is a very good thing. But it is also going to be tuff.

Back